JOIN TEAM VT | SIGN UP DAILY NEWSLETTER
VETERANS TODAY ON : FACEBOOK | TWITTER | VT FORUM
|

Americans overwhelmingly reject all types of government spending cuts

By Chris Bowers Open Left

You wouldn’t know it from our political discourse, but cutting government spending is overwhelmingly unpopular.

The following table shows public support for cutting certain types of government spending (large PDF, p. 15-16) compared to the percentage of that type of spending within the overall federal budget:

Support for cutting federal government spending

Spending Type Federal Budget Support for cuts
Social Security 19.6% 2%
Military 18.7% 18%
Unemployment 16.1% 15%
Medicare 12.8% 6%
Other health care* 10.4% 10%
Interest on Debt 4.6% 10%
State Department 1.5% 28%
Veterans 1.5% 2%
Anti-terrorism 1.2% 17%
Agriculture 0.7% 12%
Energy 0.7% 14%
Crime / Justice 0.7% 10%
Environment 0.3% 16%
Science 0.2% 14%

* Defined as Medicaid and Department of Health and Human Services.  General “health care” numbers from Pew poll used.

Americans are overwhelmingly opposed to all types of spending cuts.  Outside of the State department and NASA, which account for less than 2% of all federal government spending, at least five out of six Americans do not want to see the federal government cut spending in any other area.

More than five out of six Americans are opposed to cutting 98% of the federal budget.  Most don’t want to cut the remaining 2%, either.  Keep that in mind whenever you hear politicians calling for spending cuts, and polls claiming that voters want spending cuts.

Open Left

Bookmark and Share

Short URL: http://www.veteranstoday.com/?p=13906

The views expressed herein are the views of the author exclusively and not necessarily the views of VT or any other VT authors, affiliates, advertisers, sponsors, partners and technicians. Legal Notice

Posted by on Feb 5 2010, With 0 Reads, Filed under Economy. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

COMMENTS

To post, we ask that you login using Facebook, Yahoo, AOL, or Hotmail in the box below.
Don't have a social network account? Register and Login direct with VT and post.
Before you post, read our Comment Policy - Feedback

Comments Closed

Comments are closed

 

Email Newsletter icon, E-mail Newsletter icon, Email List icon, E-mail List icon Join Our Daily Newsletter
  View Newsletter ARCHIVE

WHAT'S HOT

  1. NEO – Putin Exposes Criminal Global Order
  2. VetLikeMe, October 30 2014
  3. Sweden to recognize State of Palestine today
  4. Sweden officially recognizes Palestinian state, Israel recalls ambassador
  5. 13,703 People Now Infected With Ebola!
  6. George and the Boys – My 3 Sons +1
  7. US beginning to ‘disengage’ from Israel: Analyst
  8. US deliberately refused to rebuild Iraq’s military: Analyst
  9. Custom Tactical Weapon Specials (updated today)
  10. NEO – Has the US Nuked Syria?
  11. Netanyahu is a ‘chickenshit,’ Obama official says – Updated twice
  12. Israelis kill Americans with impunity
  13. Harry Hun’s Ebola Program Runs Into Difficulties
  14. US Army withheld promise from Germany that Ebola virus wouldn’t be weaponized
  15. Truthers as Terrorists: Who are the terrorists today?
  16. NEO – The US and ISIL Nexus
  17. Israeli Air Force is the Best in the World
  18. Turkey says FSA must be equipped and trained to rule in Kobani
  19. Does the VA Have a Women Veterans Problem?
  20. Reinventing Vietnam War History
  1. Joanna Mccain: I will be just fine, thank you Old Jules. ...shooting sick, old horses?...nah, I think it went out of style ) otherwise, who knows?...life, history and reality surprised me few ...
  2. Howie J: At the risk of being called politically incorrect (or an anti-semite), I would like to point out that this lady, Swedish Foreign Minister Margot Wallstrom, Has bigger balls the entire ...
  3. Tiu: Gotta be careful that you fight the cause of the fire and not just the flames. I found this very interesting link on the Return of the Titans article which ...
  4. Old Jules: Getting the whole issue into the UN as a major item for discussion should be becoming a real possibility. The US has veto power in the Security Council, but ...
  5. Old Jules: Hell of a deal when the west has to listen to a Russian strongman to hear something akin to the truth.

Veterans Today Poll

For over 60 years, US Taxpayers have been funding Israel, Palestine and Middle East. Are you happy with return on investment or would you prefer those monies be invested at home instead?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Archives