Susan Lindauer: Lockerbie Diary-Gadhaffi, Fall Guy for CIA Drug Running

By Susan Lindauer, Former U.S. Asset covering Iraq and Libya

For years I was told the terrorist who placed the bomb on board Pan Am 103, known as the Lockerbie bombing, lives about 8 miles from my house, in Fairfax County, Virginia.

His life-time of privilege and protection, gratis of high flyers in U.S. Intelligence, has been a reward for silence on the CIA’s involvement in drug trafficking in Lebanon during the 1980s.

As sources go, I was more than a casual observer. From May 1995 until March 2003, I performed as a back channel to Tripoli and Baghdad, supervised by my CIA handler, Dr. Richard Fuisz, who claimed from day one to know the origins of the Lockerbie conspiracy and the identity of the terrorists. http://issuepedia.org/1998-12-04_Susan_Lindauer_Deposition He swore that no Libyan participated in the attack.

Armed with that assurance, our team started talks with Libya’s diplomats for the Lockerbie Trial, and I attended over 150 meetings at the Libyan Embassy in New York. After the hand over of Libya’s two accused men, our team engaged in a concerted fight to gain permission for Dr. Fuisz to give a deposition about his primary knowledge of the conspiracy, during the Lockerbie Trial. In a surprise twist, the U.S. Federal Judge in Alexandria, Virginia imposed a double seal on a crucial portion of Dr. Fuisz’s deposition. The double seal can only be opened by a Scottish Judge. In my opinion, that should be a priority, as testimony hidden by the double seal maps out the whole Lockerbie conspiracy. Most significantly, it identifies 11 terrorists involved in the attack. Dr. Fuisz’s testimony could put the whole matter to rest forever.

There’s good reason for my confidence. Much to my surprise, during the Lockerbie talks, Dr. Fuisz’s allegations of CIA opium running in Lebanon received unusual corroboration. One day, as I left the office of Senator Carol Moseley-Braun on my lunch break, an older spook caught up with me in front of the U.S. Supreme Court. From out of nowhere, he stepped in my path and invited me to lunch. With extraordinary candor, he debriefed me as to what motivated the CIA’s actions. I remember it as one battle-hardened old spook sharing the perils of fieldwork with a gung ho young Asset, anxious to get started on great adventures.

It was a morality tale for sure. According to him, the CIA infiltrated opium and heroin trafficking in Lebanon as part of a crisis operation to rescue AP reporter Terry Anderson and 11 other American and British hostages in Beirut, including CNN bureau chief Jeremy Levin and Anglican envoy Terry Waite. The hostage crisis was a legitimate CIA concern. The CIA Station Chief of Beirut, William Buckley, was also kidnapped by Islamic Jihad and brutally tortured to death, his body dumped in the street in front of CIA headquarters. The rescue was protracted and complicated by Lebanon’s Civil War—ultimately, Terry Anderson’s captivity lasted seven years. Many of the hostages suffered beatings, solitary confinement chained to the floor, and mock executions.

The older spook who refused to identify himself swore that the CIA considered it urgently necessary to try every possibility for recovering the hostages. The concept of infiltration into criminal networks cuts to the murky nature of intelligence itself. Drug enforcement frequently rely on the same strategies. Where the CIA went far wrong was in pocketing some of those heroin profits for itself along the way. The dirty little secret is that the CIA continued to take a percentage cut of opium and heroin production out of Lebanon well into the 1990s.

As for the hostage rescue itself, considering the operation took years to accomplish, it’s always been whispered that a corrupted CIA officer enjoying those opium profits might have swallowed reports on the hostages’ locations, or otherwise diverted his team in order to protect his narcotics income.

That appears to have become a serious fear at the time, among other U.S. officers jointly involved in the rescue.

In December 1988, infuriated Defense Intelligence agents issued a formal protest, exposing CIA complicity in Middle East heroin trafficking. When teams from both agencies got summoned back to Washington to attend an internal hearing, they boarded Pan Am 103. A wing of militant Hezbollah led by Ahmed Jibril, his nephew Abu Elias, Abu Talb and Abu Nidal took out both teams in order to protect their lucrative cartel.

Classified Defense Intelligence records show that Jibril and Talb had been toying with a conspiracy to bomb a U.S. airplane during the 1988 Christmas holidays anyway. They planned to bomb a U.S. airliner in revenge for the U.S.S. Vincennes, which shot down an Iranian commercial airliner loaded with Hajiis returning from Mecca in July, 1988. However the Defense Intelligence threat to expose their heroin network put the bombing plan into action. Islamic Jihad’s ability to discover actionable intelligence on the flight schedules would definitely confirm that somebody at CIA was operating as a double agent, keeping Islamic Jihad a step ahead of the rescue efforts.

That’s the dirty truth about Lockerbie. It ain’t nothing like you’ve been told.

Wait a darn moment—I anticipate your confusion. Libya got blamed for the Lockerbie attack. Daddy George Bush told us so! The United Nations imposed sanctions on Libya, demanding that Colonel Moammar Gadhaffi hand over two Libyans for trial. One of the two, Lameen Fhima got acquitted immediately. The other Abdelbasset Megrahi got convicted (on the most flimsy circumstantial evidence that overlooked endless contradictions). Libya paid $2.7 billion in damages—amounting to $10 million per family death— to make the U.N. sanctions go away, and expressed a sort of non-apology for the deaths—while never acknowledging its involvement in the conspiracy.

So Libya was innocent the whole time? In a word, yes.

Don’t get me wrong: I have no soft spot for Libya. As an Asset, I saw that no matter the flowing promises of friendship, at heart Libyans hearken to their glory days as Bedouin raiders. It’s pathological, not personal. They are deeply tribal and Islamic, which often makes them paranoid and suspicious of outsiders. They have an ancient history of raiding each other’s camps, back and forth, stealing livestock, women and children. One of my best diplomatic sources had a tattoo on his wrist, because his grandmother feared he would be kidnapped as a small child (in the 1950s). Libya simply does not have a history of believing that it needs to keep promises to individuals outside their clans. That’s not part of their heritage.

That vendetta culture bodes dangerously for the current rebellion. Even after Gadhaffi’s gone, in all likelihood these tribal families will continue to exact vengeance on one another. It remains to be seen whether the new government will hide those clashes to protect its image of cohesion and legitimacy to the outside world. In truth, Libyan culture poses a threat to itself most of all.

I don’t say that about just any Arab country. I enjoy Arab culture very much. I just know better than to do favors for Gadhaffi. His actions often mask some other agenda.

But the bottom line is that Libya had nothing to do with the bombing of Pan Am 103, which exploded over the town of Lockerbie, Scotland.

We should care about Lockerbie because of the serious problem that it exposed. Opium trafficking out of the Bekaa Valley provides a major source for global heroin production. In turn, the global pipeline of narco-dollars keep militant operations alive world-wide from the Middle East to Indonesia, Colombia, Burma and the Far East.

That’s something to fear. We don’t have to deploy soldiers to shut it down. With a little creativity, we could attack the bank accounts of these global heroin traffickers and cut off funds for the violence without damaging the local society through warfare. We could strike down two scourges—heroin and terrorism. And the U.S. would not require military action all over the planet to accomplish its goals. Thankfully, there are other ways.

The first step is recognition.

—END—

Susan Lindauer is the author of Extreme Prejudice: The Terrifying Story of the Patriot Act and the Cover Ups of 9/11 and Iraq.

Susan Lindauer

As a U.S. Intelligence Asset, Susan Lindauer covered anti-terrorism at the Iraqi Embassy in New York from 1996 up to the invasion. Independent sources have confirmed that she gave advance warning about the 9/11 attack. She also started talks for the Lockerbie Trial with Libyan diplomats. Shortly after requesting to testify before Congress about successful elements of Pre-War Intelligence, Lindauer became one of the first non-Arab Americans arrested on the Patriot Act as an "Iraqi Agent". She was accused of warning her second cousin, White House Chief of Staff Andrew Card and Secretary of State Colin Powell that War with Iraq would have catastrophic consequences. Gratis of the Patriot Act, her indictment was loaded with "secret charges" and "secret evidence." She was subjected to one year in prison on Carswell Air Force Base in Fort Worth, Texas without a trial or hearing, and threatened with indefinite detention and forcible drugging to shut her up. After five years of indictment without a conviction or guilty plea, the Justice Department dismissed all charges five days before President Obama’s inauguration.

Lindauer has written a book Extreme Prejudice: The Terrifying Story of the Patriot Act and the Cover Ups of 9/11 and Iraq about her experience.

The views expressed herein are the views of the author exclusively and not necessarily the views of VT or any other VT authors, affiliates, advertisers, sponsors or partners and technicians. Notices

Posted by on 2:29 pm, With 0 Reads, Filed under Foreign Policy, Politics. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

38 Responses to "Susan Lindauer: Lockerbie Diary-Gadhaffi, Fall Guy for CIA Drug Running"

1. jerry bolduc  March 28, 2011 at 4:42 am

Another can of worms…if I understand both correctly, she’s saying the opposite of what Christopher Bollyn says:

Assuming they’re both accurate to one degree or another, could this mean that the West (US, France, and Great Britain) is at war with the East (Russia, China, and the Rothschild monstrosity?)

I read an article that was posted on the internet which claimed that a fully armed Chinese frigate had made its’ way to a location off the coast of Libya…I have no idea if this is true or not, but it appears to me that, if it is true, we are involved with something much more serious than a “Democratic revolution”.

2. Adrian Peirson  March 19, 2011 at 7:15 pm

I don’t believe Lybia was responsible for Lockerbie, the more I learn, the more I start to agree with the Arabs, we are the Great Satan.

3. JD  March 8, 2011 at 7:47 am

Susan,

You need to watch Mike Delaney’s 9/11 movie Missing Links, it’s two hours long and you can find it on Youtube. It is the most comprehensive movie to date explaining the Jewish/Israeli connection to 9/11. When you watch it, see if the information presented correlates with everything you learned and experienced while working for the CIA.

4. Edward Rynearson  March 7, 2011 at 2:03 pm

Kevin Barrett speaks with Susan Lindauer, ex-CIA asset and imprisoned 9/11 whistleblower

January 4, 2011

As a U.S. Intelligence Asset, Susan Lindauer covered anti-terrorism at the Iraqi Embassy in New York from 1996 up to the invasion. Independent sources have confirmed that she gave advance warning about the 9/11 attack. She also started talks for the Lockerbie Trial with Libyan diplomats. Shortly after requesting to testify before Congress about successful elements of Pre-War Intelligence, Lindauer became one of the first non-Arab Americans arrested on the Patriot Act as an “Iraqi Agent.” She was accused of warning her second cousin, White House Chief of Staff Andrew Card and Secretary of State Colin Powell that war with Iraq would have catastrophic consequences. Gratis of the Patriot Act, her indictment was loaded with “secret charges” and “secret evidence.” She was subjected to one year in prison on Carswell Air Force Base in Fort Worth, Texas without a trial or hearing, and threatened with indefinite detention and forcible drugging to shut her up. After five years of indictment without a conviction or guilty plea, the Justice Department dismissed all charges five days before President Obama’s inauguration.

5. Rob  March 6, 2011 at 5:25 pm

Susan,
    I remember, and my memorary is somewhat impaired (brain surgery/2000), a MSM broadcast
    maybe 20/20, that explored how many cancellations led to students on standby being the
    victims of Pan Am 103. Haven’t heard this angle explored since. Is my memory faulty?

• Susan Lindauer  March 6, 2011 at 5:40 pm

You have an excellent memory– not impaired at all. You are absolutely correct. The State Department posted a travel alert among its staff, warning diplomats to stay off that flight. The high number of flight cancellations on Pan Am 103, SPECIFICALLY, left room for college students flying stand-by to board the plane, going home for the holidays.I heard about the State Dept advisory from a Congressional Chief of Staff, who expressed outrage that govt employees and fellow diplomats (from South Africa, if I recall correctly– A FRIEND OF ISRAEL IN 1988) received the State Dept warnings. But ordinary citizens did not. For awhile, in certain circles, the warning was judged so severe that critics questioned if perhaps the flight should have been canceled outright.

• Rob  March 6, 2011 at 9:11 pm

Susan,

Should not this be a subject of discussion? How we have been lied to and manipulated into media constructs that are manipulated to fit the subugation ? Sorry for using manipulated twice in one sentence, but I am incensed. Your
      kind reference to my memory is appreciated. Helps me to cling to the hope that my memory has not been totally destroyed. Thanks.

6. Anna Marie  March 6, 2011 at 4:47 pm

I never believed Pan Am 103 was perpetrated by Libya, from Day One.

Anyway, almost every time the party blamed by US officials is not
    the one at fault.

But who was ?

I had no idea. No one one knew until now.

Thank you for this truly extraordinary article.

I’m just sorry that Susan thought Penumbra was
    referring to HER. It speaks volumes about how much she
    has been persecuted for sticking with her independent
    line of – eye-opening – truth.

It’s too bad she had to suffer like that.

For actually, anyone familiar with Iraq knew that it
    would be a huge disaster to invade.

The treatment she got reveals how much that Administration
    was bent on taking over Iraq and refused to hear
    the dissenting voices of experts in the Arab world.

I hope she can put all those terribly upset feelings at her shockingly evil treatment
    into assiduous investigation of similar topics.

Readers will benefit greatly.

I for one am eager to read her book now.
    Had I not seen this article, I would not have heard of its existence.

Back to this article, I especially liked the insights into Libyan
    tribal culture.

The vendetta scenario sounds the most accurate prediction of any.
    The author clearly KNOWS Libya like very few others.

7. prairiedog  March 6, 2011 at 12:13 pm

But lets not prosecute the little deserter and his gang. Hillary is just another zionist whore talking head. What’s most frightening is she might be our next president.

8. Susan Lindauer  March 5, 2011 at 11:49 pm

Hey guys, somebody just emailed me that they’ve got original video footage of Tom Clancy interviewing Jerry Levin, CNN’s Bureau Chief, after the hostage rescue. And it apparently describes how his wife courageously volunteered at a Lebanese hospital for bombing victims, trying to build relationships and sympatico to find her husband on her own. With VT’s approval, we’ll embed that video in this article and resubmit, or publish some kind of follow up. I think it would be really fascinating to hear Tom Clancy and the story of the ordeal of the hostages.

• Susan Lindauer  March 5, 2011 at 11:57 pm

oh my bad— It was JIM Clancy (not the world famous Tom). Still, the interview should be fascinating since it describes the nightmare of his kidnapping through several years of abuse, and how they pulled off his rescue.

• Jerry Levin  March 8, 2011 at 12:24 pm

This is Jerry Levin. A friend directed me to your piece. I would love to see the Jim Clancy interview, because it never happened. Although Jim worked for me at the bureau, I didn’t see him again until several months after I escaped, when he visited my wife and me at our DC home.

The information about my wife’s activities to free me in your piece is almost correct, and was probably gleaned by your informant from other interviews he or she may have seen of my wife on TV or Radio after our return to freedom or from her own account, Beirut Diary, or the ABC docudrama of her efforts to create the conditions by which I was able to escape, Held Hostage. Actually she worked at a hospital in Damascus, treating Lebanese kids who were victims of the Civil War or Israel’s genocidal bombardments or our Navy’s bombardments of Beirut and environs. She had gone there to Damascus try to enlist the Syrian governments help in getting to the bottom of my kidnapping and perhaps exercise influence in creating conditions for me to reach freedom. What took her to Damascus was the equivocal and deceitful way the Reagan Administration was obfuscating the causes and facts of my disappearance and the disappearances of the others. (By the way, Terry Anderson was clearly my replacement. Less than a month after I escaped, he was taken. Terry Waite was taken a couple of years after that, victim of hubris rather than terrorism. (But that’s a story for another time.) My wife’s efforts apparently worked because the conditions by which I was able to escape materialized several weeks after she left Damascus for the States.

I would be interested in knowing more about the “spook” you mentioned in your piece. My wife tells in her account how one of Buckley’s closest associates, proteges in fact,who has become a close friend, made a bee line to my wife to encourage her to continue to speak out critically of the government’s efforts, or lack thereof, to free me and those taken after me, including Buckley. (I was the first of the so-called Forgotten Hostages.)Our friend encouraged her to work independently, because, he said that shortly before Buckely was kidnapped, he Buckley, knowing that kidnapping was an ever present possibility, said, “For God sakes, if I am ever kidnapped, don’t leave it up to the government to come and get me. Do what you can on your own.” (Buckley was kidnapped nine days after me.)

As to the CIA connection with the Opium trade, I can’t make any personal experiental contribution as to the truth of that assertion, although it seems to be pretty well documented. As to the pervasiveness of the opium business in the Bekaa Valley where I was held, that is well known. One afternoon in the summer of 1984, while chained away in solitary confinement in my safe house hideaway I heard a terrific small arms gun fight take place for about five minutes, perhaps no further than a half mile or so from wherever I was held. I figured that it probably had to do with some confessional either ideological or opium rivalry. Of course, as to exactly what the cause was, I never did find out.

• Gordon Duff  March 8, 2011 at 12:38 pm

Jerry,
      I suspect Susan will respond. If you want to get your side out on this, we would be happy to publish it.
      Gordon Duff
      Senior Editor

• Jerry Levin  March 8, 2011 at 2:36 pm

I would be glad to oblige. But tell me what you would like, the slant, number of words etc.

For an idea of where I am coming from, here is a blog to which I occasionally add pieces, but not regularly, concerned mostly in recent years with my views on and experiences with the Israeli occupation of Palestine.

The blog is at: http://fromtheinsidelookingout-jerrylevin.blogspot.com/

• Susan Lindauer  March 8, 2011 at 12:42 pm

Mr. Levin, Your story has fascinated me for years. What you endured played a crucial role in my motivation as an Asset to get the bastards who did this to you and others— by exposing the conspiracy to bomb Pan Am 103 to hide intelligence on heroin trafficking as a funding source for terrorism, including the distinct possibility that the hostage taking was not tackled as vigorously as it should have been, in order to protect the CIA team’s rogue profiting from the heroin trade. And now you tell us that you were chained in solitary confinement in the Bekaa Valley itself. Oh my! Your story is incredible.

I would love to follow up with you. I will contact you at your private email with information about how to reach the man who claims to have the videotape. I”ve got a phone number and email for him.

I’ve had several requests to do a follow up story, which would embed the video footage. This gentleman indicated that he was filming your meeting with Jim Clancy. He said he’s got a couple of hours of video footage. Here I’m just repeating what I’ve been told.

Thank you for getting in touch.

Susan Lindauer

• Jerry Levin  March 8, 2011 at 1:39 pm

Jim Dean: He taped me in Atlanta ten or so years ago. As I said, Clancy never did interview me. We just chatted off the record when we visited.

• Jerry Levin  March 8, 2011 at 3:15 pm

A sidebar to my response that may interest you because of your close connection and familiarity with Libyan matters. The founder of Nabi Berri’s Amahl, which was the consequential Shiite militia in Lebanon when I was there, because at the time the more militant Hizballah was just getting organized, was Mussa Sadr. SaDR was a fiery Shiite cleric/reformer, who originally received much support and encouragement from Ghaddfi. However, several months before I arrived, I don’t remember how many, perhaps it was even a year or more, he had a falling out with Ghaddfi.

At the time, as you may remember, Iranian backed anti-Western terrorism in Lebanon was barely understood or even realized while Libyan, especially its terminal ruthlessness with respect to kidnappings, was well known and feared. Iranian backed kidnappings on the other hand it was also known was open to quid pro quo dealings. Nevertheless despite Ghaddifi’s well known ruthlessness and his disenchantment with him, Mussa Sadr allowed himself to be lured to Tripoli for a meeting with Ghaddfi AND WAS NEVER HEARD FROM AGAIN. Thus the elevation of Berri to Amahl leadership.

Knowing that (and this is absolutely true) at the moment I was aware that I was being kidnapped and there was nothing I could do to safely resist, the thought flashed through my mind that “I hope they aren’t Libyans and are Islamic Jihad (as Hizballah was known back then).” I knew that those kidnapped by the latter had a chance to emerge alive from their experience, while those in Libyan backed hands did not.

This turned out to be the case of UN correspondent Alec Collett who was kidnapped several months after my escape. Originally taken probably by non political terrorists, they probably sold him to Libyan backed terrorists, who wanting to make a defiant example of their hatred of anti-western connection to Israeli aggression hung him and then released pictures of his body at the end of the rope.

• Gordon Duff  March 8, 2011 at 7:54 pm

Jerry
      Some of why I am trying to get our good friend Gadaffy and his gang ..gone.
      I am watching those around us outmaneuvered, duped, suckered…while “others” line up to get on Gadaffy’s payroll.
      g

• Jerry Levin  March 8, 2011 at 12:53 pm

(I forgot to add the following to my first reply). As to your comment, “and how (CIA) they pulled off his rescue,” I can tell you that the CIA had nothing to do with my rescue. My escape was the only “forgotten hostages” joint-husband-and-wife-rescue-effort to succeed.

Later the CIA’s reaction to my escape was both mystifying and curious. I had memorized the salient physical landmarks outside the last safe house in which I was held, in the hopes that if my escape was successful they might be helpful in someway in bringing about a rescue of others whom I knew were being held in the same house. But a couple of weeks after returning to the States, when the CIA agent “assigned” to me and a couple of others he brought in triumphantly showed me an aerial photo of the safe house based on my descriptions in which I had been held, I had to tell them it was definitely not. Several significant landmarks were missing. It was similar but not the one. I remember being taken aback at how vehemently they insisted that I was wrong and they were right. Why they wanted to tout me off the truth, I still don’t know. But for whatever reason it seems to me to be all of a piece to when it comes to the inimical roguish character of The Company.

9. Susan Lindauer  March 5, 2011 at 9:58 pm

It’s difficult to express how much your comments mean to me. After such a long battle and the beatings I took to hold onto these truths, I feel like I’m experiencing a sort of redemption. Thank you so much. Wasn’t it Jefferson (or Paine) who said, “To replenish democracy, from time to time the blood of patriots and tyrants must be spilled.” Mine has felt like one of those battles. Thank you. Thank you very much.

• ulysees  March 5, 2011 at 11:22 pm

The firing squad doesn’t hurt anyway… Now is the time for us all to speak TRUTH to power in what ever way no matter how large or how small that we can.

Defy, Do Not Comply.

• Penumbra  March 6, 2011 at 12:00 am

Yes Susan, it was Jefferson. The Tree of Liberty it was…

10. duffster  March 5, 2011 at 8:25 pm

Susan
    Superior work. You are breaking into some new terroritory.
    Lots of guts.
    I hadn’t seen it….(I hate that)
    g

11. Mr. Sweden Misr  March 4, 2011 at 9:13 pm

Susan obviously experienced the true face of US democracy (sic). That biography is one of the most interesting I read in a while. All respect, for having such integrity.

12. Penumbra  March 4, 2011 at 5:40 pm

One day that woman is going to face her own firing squad.

• Susan Lindauer  March 4, 2011 at 7:16 pm

You’re probably right! I will die happy– and vindicated!

• Penumbra  March 5, 2011 at 5:19 am

Yes jan, and apparently someone left the screen door open for the arrival of new gadflies in our midst. Did Mr. Suiter or his alter ego DRS take up my suggestion to go fish for reinforcements from mil.com?

What new surprises await the discussants at VT? Stay tuned….

• ulysees  March 5, 2011 at 11:09 pm

Are You speaking of Hilary or Linda??

• ulysees  March 5, 2011 at 11:09 pm

OOPS that should be Hilary or Susan?? … sigh (-:

• Susan Lindauer  March 5, 2011 at 11:45 pm

I thought you were saying I would face a firing squad, (since I just published “Extreme Prejudice). You meant Hillary. Yes. And she would deserve it.

• Penumbra  March 6, 2011 at 12:03 am

It was a response to the person above who mentioned Hillary. My goodness, I would hope Susan would be one of those aiming and firing, for her own vindication’s sake.

• rexw  March 5, 2011 at 11:15 pm

If you hear of when that is likely to happen, Penumbra, I would enjoy being there because if I rely only on US press reports, then they will probably only fire blanks and we will find her living in a penthouse in Tel Aviv a month later, a full citizen of Israel for services rendered.

• Susan Lindauer  March 5, 2011 at 11:46 pm

If you ever hear I’m in Tel Aviv, you’ll know it’s a Rendition!

TOP 50 READ ARTICLES THIS WEEK