Ted Gundy Gets Three Head Shots at a 1000 yards

Fort Benning sniper pros teach old Ted how to shoot – Or was it the other way around?

An 85 year old WWII sniper moves up from his past 300 yard range to a 1000, with flying colors

… by  Jim W. Dean, VT Editor

Ted Gundy – 99th Infantry – Battle of the Bulge

When I first saw this story I thought to myself that it could not be true…three head shots on his first time shooting at the 1000 yard range on the new guns?

But it really happened folks and you can watch on the video below. Ole Ted not only has the Right Stuff, but has improved his game.

Back in WWII 300 yards was normal sniper range, so that was all they ever trained for.

I am sure that his top Army sniper team coaches, world champions, were a great help…but putting those rounds on target at a 1000 yards, the first time shooting the weapon…you have to see to believe. And amazingly, Ted had not shot since his WWII days!!

Snipers have not always been loved throughout warfare. In the Civil War days they were despised. Drilling somebody in the act of relieving himself was considered an act of cowardice beyond description.

Troops in stationary line positions often worked out ‘no shoot’ deals with their counterparts during static periods, against the orders of their officers. This even included pretend shooting to keep them happy.

Ted was being hosted at Fort Benning for a rare ‘black hat’ sniper presentation by the Army’s elite team, the 9th honorary one they have done. And as you will see, Ted went on to earn his hat in spades by freaking the young fellas out with his five inch grouping on the 1000 yard range.

It was a memorable day for all, especially as Ted got the red carpet tour of the National Infantry Museum, a must see for folks passing through Georgia. I regret to admit that I have not made it down there yet as I travel less and less now.

Ted Gundy – Making history at Fort Benning

I have fond memories of shooting a Heritage TV  War Dogs Memorial event ten years ago at the dedication of the second of only two monuments to the dogs. The footage is among my most treasured and I hope to have highlights up for you on VT by year end.

Stephen Ambrose was the headline speaker and really held the crowd with his wonderful talk on the Lewis and Clark expedition.

Merriweather Lewis’ dog Seaman was the star attraction, all the way to the end when Lewis died and the dog refused to leave his grave site and died their himself.

But Ted did not die in WWII. He survived the Battle of the Bulge to come back and live a normal life, that is until they put a rifle back into his hands. They warmed him up shooting a replica of his Springfield 1903 where he drilled his rounds home. Then it was time to move up to big leagues.

This is a story you have to see to believe. God bless all those who left their normal lives to go off to fight and came home to pick up where they left off. Not all were so fortunate, even those who came home and were never normal again.

But Ted has survived to share his big day with the rest of us. Enjoy the rare moment.

YouTube - Veterans Today - – Gundy

_________________________________

Jim W. Dean

Jim W. Dean is managing editor of Veterans Today wearing many hats from day to day operations, development, writing and editing articles. He also has an active schedule of TV and radio interviews as do the other VT editors, and some guest radio hosting on the Rense network.

Jim comes from an old military family dating back to the American Revolution. Dozens of Confederate ancestors fought for the South in the War Between the States. Uncles fought in WWII and Korea. His father was a WWII P-40 and later P-51 Mustang fighter pilot. Vietnam found several uncles serving, a cousin, and brother Wendell as a young Ranger officer. His mother was a WWII widow at 16, her first husband killed with all 580 aboard when the SS Paul Hamilton, an ammunition ship with 7000 tons of explosives aboard, was torpedoed off the coast of Algiers.

He has been writing, speaking and doing public relations, television, consulting and now multimedia work for a variety of American heritage, historical, military, veterans and Intel platforms. Jim's only film appearance was in the PBSLooking for Lincoln documentary with Prof. Henry Lewis Gates, and he has guest lectured at the Army Command and General Staff School at Fort Gordon.

Currently he is working to take his extensive historical video archives on line to assist his affiliated organizations with their website multimedia efforts, such as the Military Order of World Wars, Atlanta, Sons of the American Revolution, Sons of Confederate Veterans , Assoc. for Intelligence Officers, the Navy League, Georgia Heritage Council, National Memorial Assoc.of Georgia.

The views expressed herein are the views of the author exclusively and not necessarily the views of VT or any other VT authors, affiliates, advertisers, sponsors or partners and technicians. Notices

Posted by on 7:43 pm, With 0 Reads, Filed under History, Life, World War II (1939-1945). You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

21 Responses to "Ted Gundy Gets Three Head Shots at a 1000 yards"

1. dirtus napus  October 22, 2012 at 5:55 pm

My god I comitted the act of blaspheme. 1903. 1913 is so ingrained in my mind I have almost no control when typing…..scary.

2. dirtus napus  October 22, 2012 at 5:35 pm

Well Mike, I respect your appreciation of the K98, and (it’s variants :)) I have spent a lifetime of pain and misery mostly learning and practicing martial arts, and not the kind in the Dojo.

First, I think you don’t understand what I was trying to convey to Jim. I was trying to relate that I had welled up a little when Gundy received that beautiful copy (1903). I’m sure it was blueprinted beyond precision. Something I myself was looking into very recently myself.

For a long time I would have disagreed with you about sniping, designated marksmen (vulger term), etc. at the platoon level. I have been a part of their effects, employed them, and would never disuage any company of not employing them. However.

Once you go all the way around the barn, you will see most of life and war is an equation. If old men did not send young men to do these things, they would not exist. I’m sorry to report to you….as long as this process continues, you will see very effective, accurate, deadly fire from highly trained, motivated men. Sniping, or as we call it, killing, will be around far past your sell date.

And to call this MOS chicken shit is pure horse shit. Let me send you on 15 GPS points behind lines for 6 months. Ever eat rats Mike? Doesn’t taste like chicken. Live in a hole for 3 months Mike? Straight?

Learn a language in 2 months Mike? Chicken shit is another term for ignorance. Shooting a guy when he’s getting laid, now that’s a hard one. But how many did he kill of ours? See the cycle? Never ends.\\

Stop fractional reserve lending and we’ll see the end of this. Promise.

• Jim W. Dean  October 22, 2012 at 6:55 pm

Dirt, I fixed the 1903 thing…just a typo I am sure :-)

“For a long time I would have disagreed with you about sniping, designated marksmen (vulger term), etc. at the platoon level. I have been a part of their effects, employed them, and would never disuage any company of not employing them.”

I qualified that with the Civil War reference. Modern warfare, and more so now when you have the long open distances they are a critical component of the game. Counter sniping is one if the hairiest duties you can pull, with Carlos Hathcock’s duel with the NVA ringer they brought down just to get him is a classic Nam story…drilling him through his scope.

Gordon was a 50 cal sniper for the last part of his Nam tour, and didn’t like it. He was mostly killing mortar teams that thought they were too far out to hit. But they couldn’t hit anything either.

• Mike Kay  October 22, 2012 at 8:15 pm

Understood, sir.
      Perhaps my words were too harsh, but I stand by the reality of what it means-has meant to sell out our honor.
      Sure, there is skill, sacrifice, toughness in dropping the little black wiggly on the curved plain. Almost sanitary-almost.
      Nope, never ate rats. Killed ‘em, but never ate ‘em. Did eat a particularly ornery Rattlesnake, though, and while he was not genteel like chicken, he was protein.
      Taking life to eat is another part of the sacred dance, sir, unless we become so brutal and preconditioned to killing alone that we forget all that. Just my humble opinion, sir.
      Looks like the time when killing for something else besides food is gonna revisit this land. I’ll keep in mind, until I cash out, that honor was left at the doorstep a long time ago.

3. Mike Kay  October 22, 2012 at 4:58 pm

Sirs,
    Val Forgette created Navy Arms. I did not even know, until I watched this video, that Mr, Forgette had released a limited edition replica of the 03 A4. To those who might be interested, the 1903 Springfield was a ripoff of Peter Paul Mauser’s 1898 design. It was such a ripoff, that the U.S. had to pay Mauser damaged for patent infringement. That said, the scammers had ripped off a great design, and its final incarnation was as the Sniper Rifle of WW2, the Springfield 1903A4. Optics were fitted upon manufacture, and as shown, such rifles were never equipped with iron sights-only optics. Readers, you will see the A4 in action in counter sniper action in “Saving Private Ryan”.
    Mr. Dean is correct, sniping is, and has always been repugnant, the realm of chickenshit diaper wearing scoundrels, which is probably why Israel was targeting our boys in the recent desert wars. They do not now, nor, ever, have had any honor.
    I was told a story of Italy in WW2, where there was a particularly effective Wehrmacht sniper, who used his 7.92x57mm K98K to amazing effectiveness against the US troops storming the Citadel. His own men mobbed him and were close to giving him a “blanket party” because of his string of unsavory kills. It may be that his own German soldiers helped seal their own defeat by ending his string of success, but they just couldn’t take it any more.
    Every man wishes to meet his match in face to face battle, maybe even to have the blessing of crossing steel. No man wishes to die in the pink mist while taking a f-cking piss.
    I still wonder what the cost was, of targeting the untargetable, and now I know, it is the loss of honor, the loss of our final stand, the loss of a good death.

4. dirtus napus  October 22, 2012 at 3:57 pm

Congrats Jim, you proved I’m still human, hard to do anymore. You got me on the video. Bastard :)

• Mike Kay  October 22, 2012 at 4:59 pm

Well, DN, if you were the shooter my hat is off to you, sir.

5. DaveE  October 22, 2012 at 7:43 am

Great stuff. Would love to see some of your Lewis and Clark Expedition stuff and the Steven Ambrose talk…… do you still have it? Is it on DVD or even VHS?

Thanks, Jim.

• Jim W. Dean  October 22, 2012 at 7:55 am

We did do a one hour Heritage TV public tv show. But it may have been back in the VHS dubbing days. So I will check through my DVC Pro digital master, which is what it would have aired on.

I have had on my fall clean out list to go through my boxes of VHS dubs that I have been carrying around for 8 to 10 years, and hardly anyone owning a working machine anymore…to throw them out to make more storage room. But I have to track back the masters on each one as if they are missing the VHS of SVHS will be all I have. But I am sure I still have the master on this.

Feel free to contact me directly as a reminder.

• Jim W. Dean  October 22, 2012 at 8:02 am

This War Dogs ceremony was a key show for me as I took a Saturday off work to go down to Fort Benning with the crew. And it was right at the beginning of my shifting the 100% focus on early American and Southern/Confederate themes to broaden out into military and veterans due to the overlap there that PC media just ignored.

For example, to this day the vast majority of military officers don’t know that Confederates are fully recognized veterans by Act of Congress, part of the Centennial preparation work to pull the country together and fully recognize the South’s over representation in the military and America’s wars…and put the bogus ‘traitor taint’ to bed.

Those still choosing to push that, do so for purely psy ops and and divide and conquer manipulation, the oldest game in the book.

• DaveE  October 22, 2012 at 10:40 am

Hang on to those tapes, Jim. They’re coming back “in” style. I do volunteer work for a local thrift store, fixing electronic stuff just to keep it out of the landfill and I’ll tell ya’ what…… VHS machines are flying pretty quickly off the shelves. Tapes, even more so. Kinda like vinyl LPs that were available for 20 cents ten years ago are now 20 bucks, if you can find them. People are realizing that once upon a time, we actually DID things and MADE things that were COOL!

Like making videos trying to get some of the truth out about the Civil War, for example…….!

• DaveE  October 22, 2012 at 10:41 am

I’ll keep my eyes open for a decent VHS machine, if you want one……..

• Jim W. Dean  October 22, 2012 at 10:51 am

I have three almost new ones, bought just before I got my DvD tower burner, which is still working fine. Thanks

6. brucemillette  October 22, 2012 at 6:25 am

What was thee calibre of the gun, and the power of the scope? Very awesome shooting, by the way.

• Jim W. Dean  October 22, 2012 at 6:42 pm

Bruce, the Springfield 1903A4…still famous, and expensive if you can find one.

The 1000 yard gun was AMU’s custom Remington 700.

There is no info on the scope. Mike Kay has some good background material on the Springfield. Always great to see the comment section working like we wanted it to, filling in more on an article with what the readers can add. Thanks to all.

• Mike Kay  October 23, 2012 at 2:39 pm

Bruce,
      All 1903 Springfield’s, all variations, including the A4 were chambered in 30 US 06, today generally referred to as the 30-06. The A4 was fitted with a variety of optics. Those most commonly found on surviving A4’s were made by Weaver, and had a magnification of 2.2x to 2.5x. The military dubbed them with a number sequence, such as M-73, M-82, etc. yet they were all commercially available under different names.
      Hope this helps.

• Mike Kay  October 23, 2012 at 2:56 pm

The Remington 700 actions have been made in short, long, and magnum length actions. Judging by the apparent low recoil, (and with only a brief glimpse of the carriage the rifle was mounted on), the gun was not chambered for any of the current darlings of the sniping world, such as the 338 Lapua.
      My guess, and this is but a guess, is that the 1,000 yard shots were delivered via the 7.62 x 51 mm NATO, known commercially as the .308 Winchester.

7. Excalibur  October 22, 2012 at 5:50 am

Was that ricochet shootin’? Is he any relation to the Clampits?

8. duay khwaam nap theuu  October 22, 2012 at 1:17 am

This video begins with the story of Mr. Gundy, boot camp through Battle of the Bulge. Some of it with his own words.

• Jim W. Dean  October 22, 2012 at 6:26 am

Great find here Duay on the background video…thanks.

9. duay khwaam nap theuu  October 22, 2012 at 12:33 am