Episode 4: Nagant Wars, Scout-Sniper Comparisons

Nagant and Springfield Scout Rifles

Nagant and Springfield Scout Rifles

Interim Nagant and Comparison to Two Semi-Auto Builds

by Gordon Duff, Senior Editor

We have a usable “interim build” on our Mosin Nagant project rifle.  As you remember, this is a cherry 1938 Model 91/30 Mosin Nagant with full barrel, original bolt with matching numbers and a gleaming bore.

YouTube - Veterans Today -

Comparison rifles are a Type 56/SKS, Norinco, unfired, and a Springfield M1A with a vintage but excellent USMC stock with great heritage markings.

ScreenHunter_2052 Aug. 23 19.28

To the Nagant, we have added a bipod, flash suppressor, carrying handle (excellent choice) and moved to an LER (Long Eye Relief) scope.  I have finally decided it is a 2x – 7x 32mm.

SAM_2958 SAM_2956 SAM_2957 SAM_2960 SAM_2955 SAM_2964 SAM_2963 SAM_2961 SAM_2962 SAM_2959

ScreenHunter_2053 Aug. 23 19.29

Posted by on August 23, 2013, With 5872 Reads Filed under Of Interest. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

7 Responses to "Episode 4: Nagant Wars, Scout-Sniper Comparisons"

1. Nunya B. Ness  August 29, 2013 at 9:27 pm

I found this post both highly entertaining and horrific. I have been a long time collector of Mosin Nagant rifles, and a bit of a purist, I would have to admit. Though I have stepped away from collecting in the last year or so, I still have a few choice rifles, and a penchant for historic purity. That being said, there are literally millions of these things out there, and ultimately, it is your rifle and yours to do with as you wish!

The featured rifle is a Mosin Nagant, or often shortened to be called a “Mosin”. It is NEVER a “Nagant” rifle, nor is there such a thing as a “Mosin” revolver. The “Nagant”‘ part of the rifle’s name is attributed to one of the Nagant brothers, who is not the one associated with the “Nagant” revolver. Confusing, I know. I wouldn’t expect anyone to call it a “Three Line Rifle” (3/10″) as it is known in its homeland…

All that being said, I have been thinking about that stock for my Finnish M39, which was cobbled together from parts and therefore no longer really original. The Finns assembled the best versions of the Russian rifle, and the M39 is (arguably) the ultimate expression of the type in both function and accuracy, as far as battle rifles are concerned. The Czech Vz.54 may be the ultimate sniper version.

Cheers!

2. jackheart  August 25, 2013 at 6:47 pm

well you would know

3. CoJonesGrandes  August 24, 2013 at 6:02 am

This is off topic but I need to get the info out.

Dimitri Khalezov’s completed book is available at:

I’ll give 2 mirror sites as well

4. Mike Kay  August 23, 2013 at 8:07 pm

Mr. Duff,
    Some real eye candy. If you lived around here, I’d have to figure a way to put those pieces through some paces-with your help, of course. I’m certain they are crying out to send some hot pills down range. Then again, maybe its just me.
    Can that Archangel stock accept side mounted swivels? Might be an option to balancing that rig with just a carry handle. Figure typical bottom mounts would try to make the bipod and magazine part of one’s anatomy…
    Love this series. Hope you can do some shooting soon.