America is Great

This memorial day, one could not help but remember the brave men and women, friends, classmate, army teammate who made the ultimate sacrifice for this country. To all those who served this country, I salute you and to all those who died for this country, we say may your soul rest in peace. Yes, America is Great because of you.

Memorial Day honors American men and women who have died in military service

Memorial Day honors American men and women who have died in military service

It really bothers me when I hear political candidates promise to make America “great again”. Well, but for those stupid, reckless and selfish politicians, America would be even greater.

We do not need you to make America great. It is great with its decent hard-working people; family people who are doing their best for their families, neighborhoods, and society.

America is great with its outstanding colleges and universities, albeit it is too expensive and costly, but yes, we do have the best system of higher education in the world.

America is great with its first class medical facilities, research hospitals, albeit too expensive, but we do have the best of the best.

America is great with its pioneers in technology; mechanics, industry and service sectors who made America the leading and number one economy in the world.

America is great with its generous people, who more than any people in the world, are the most generous, giving some $300 billion annually to charity, though most of it goes to religious institutions; but we are the most generous nation in the world.

We are a great Nation, notwithstanding a corrupt political system driven by and controlled by big money in politics killing the very idea of democracy, where money, not ideas or ideals are the driving force behind local and national elections. To our shame, no country in the world comes close to spending the billions on elections as we do, and no country in the West comes close to money corruption in its political system.

America is great notwithstanding the crooks of Wall Street, collectively running a racketeering criminal enterprise that is cheating the government before it is cheating Main Street — always inventive in ways to cheat and defraud along the way.

flyover

We are a great Nation when we see every afternoon and every weekend, parents, and grandparents in the parks cheering for their kids as they practice and compete in soccer and baseball, among other sports. I do not know of one country where the parent gives more time to their children than here in the US.

_________

Theft of our Treasure

wall street bull

But for our corrupt political, economic and financial systems, we would be an even greater nation. It is these institutions that keep us from rebuilding our broken down infrastructure, rebuilding our run down elementary and high schools and keeping us from rebuilding our manufacturing sector.

It is these inept corrupt institutions that keep us from having a secure pension after working hard for over 40 years, and keep us from having a guaranteed health insurance as we grow old and face expensive debilitating or catastrophic diseases, such as cancer and Alzheimers. It is these institutions that force families to divorce so they can get the insurance coverage needed when disease strikes.

Although America is great without its politicians, it is great with its teachers, and firemen; greater with the majority of police officers dedicating their lives to the service of others. It is great with the men and women in uniform, who are sent to reckless, ill-conceived and ill-planned wars.

Yes, this Memorial Day, let us celebrate America the Great as we know it, not as the politicians want to define it for us. I am simply waiting for one politician to tell me what specific plans they have in mind, to make America greater when they voted to ship good paying jobs overseas; when they allowed companies to give bonuses in the hundreds of millions to executives for shutting down factories and firing long time employees; when they allow US corporations to “park” over $3 trillion in profits in offshore tax havens.

I would like to know how these politicians want to make America greater when they fail to address our broken economic and tax system. We could not keep America great only with F-35 and nuclear bombs. We need to invest in our people, in education, in health care and in jobs.

Thank you, America, for what you are not that the politicians want you to be. They want a great America through investment in wars, rather than in people; the latter being the very essence of great nation building.

_________

Posted by on May 28, 2016, With 3187 Reads Filed under Government & Politics. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.

12 Responses to "America is Great"

1. Voratapoles  May 31, 2016 at 11:45 am

“Great?” Alexander the mass-murdering criminal is regarded as “The Great.” What would a great people do if/when a satanic tribe of gargoyles take the reins of power? Something along the lines of breaking out the pitchforks and scurrying on down to the village square. What would cowards do? Exactly as they are doing now … not a g__d__. thing. So what exactly is greatness? I submit that it is a figment of grand imagination. Who’s right – who’s wrong? Brings to mind how a friend and I got into an argument as to who was the greatest athlete of all time. Tempers flared. Not even one beer. Fill the bar – Fill the glasses and toss that question into the ring. One man emerges blowing the smoke from his gun. He’s right.

• Ramirez  May 31, 2016 at 4:02 pm

Yes, they either overtly do it, or they covertly do it.

Incredibly easy to get your own way when the overt and the covert work equally well. One might be quicker but each has it’s advantages.

Until people can self govern, the human condition will remain unfixable.

2. 60sstreetpunk  May 30, 2016 at 2:59 pm

Thank you all for the comments- I always learn more. Thank you Jozsef for the history lesson. I was taught little about eastern Europe’s contribution throughout the ages- fighting all kinds of invaders- Muslims, Russians, Bolsheviks, and so many.
    I still have a large hand embroidered flag of the Catholic side for the Spanish Civil War. In America all I ever hear about is those wonderful Communists/Trotskyites from the lower East side and Greenwich Village, Manhattan,NY who went to Spain to butcher more priests and nuns. That is American history as taught by the NY Times and newsstand magazines .
    I am not stupid in regards to our military which seems to be like dumb oxen as once described by Nixon’s ?sec. of defense. My times in the Corps in late 60s showed the USMC careerists to be unconcerned about us generic enlisted trash. These lifers didn’t much care about lieutenants either. They let you suffer and die in Vietnam but then stateside they told us to steer clear of any girls in the base swimming pool or our asses would be brought before the man. We never counted. I witnessed over and over how the Corps was trying to set up Marines to get less than honorable discharges on many who had done good work and had survived bad tours overseas.
    I could speak about the dirt but I believe Sami was talking about the opportunities we can have in America even though this country has cheated all of us of any heritage. Money talks for these leaders-Dem or Republican.

3. Ramirez  May 30, 2016 at 9:47 am

Fascinating and enlightening info man I will make a note of that date to be there in spirit.

4. Ramirez  May 30, 2016 at 9:41 am

VT is great, America ought to be great but what Empire ever is ?

They just don’t do it.

5. Worker Bee  May 29, 2016 at 5:43 pm

The country I grew up in was one where I was run down as a child because my grandparents were sharecroppers instead of people who left middle class wealth and security to their children.

A country where I became middle class by either working or studying on Friday and Saturday evenings, while others were blowing more money in a single night in a campus bar than my “entertainment budget” for the entire year.

A country where I started on the bottom and had to work my way up after graduation, instead of being handed a better job through family connections.

A country where those who had it made due to what their ancestors did, did their best to pull up the ladder and keep everyone else down.

A country where the middle class cheered slashing taxes on the ultra rich, and cutting of the social safety net for the poor, handicapped, and mentally ill.

When the “baby boomers” become “baby busters”, I can only say, “What goes around comes around”, and “be careful of what you ask for, as you just might get it”.

• Sami Jamil Jadallah  May 29, 2016 at 7:04 pm

Worker Bee, I too grew up in the same country as young immigrant going to high school and working after high school every night for 3 years straight, from cleaning toilets to cleaning kitchen to washing dishes to cook to manager. Seeing my late father having been laid off from the steel mills of Gary, working as a peddler going from hours to house walking 100 blocks a day. Helping father as he cleaned the American Legion hall after weekend of partying and cleaning barf all over the toilets and bathroom. Working the steel mills midnight shift 5-6 nights a week while going to university full time, driving campus in my last year. Earning my master and law degree while working full time for the university, on to Wall Streets and to jobs that took me all over Europe, Middle East and North Africa with the use of private jets. My children all earned graduate degrees with my wife earning her PhD. Yes, America is Great and I am thankful for the opportunity. That is why we must Never Give Up the Fight and fight for America that we knew, not America of the supper rich and America of the crooked politicians.

6. EcuadorExpat  May 29, 2016 at 2:05 pm

This is about as much bullshit as I have ever seen on this site. Any vet who believes he was fighting for freedom and to protect the USA is just plain stupid. I was in the USA army for 9 years, and never believed that crap for a minute.

I expatriated seven years ago. It used to be that people would say America, good people, bad government, but that stopped when Obama was elected the SECOND time. Americans are arrogant, ignorant, falsely exceptional people whose prosperity has depended on exploiting the rest of the world backed up with endless corruption and the largest military in the world. As a fellow expat recently said, if there is such a thing as karma, nothing that could happen to the USA would be worse than what it deserves.

7. cynthiamaccioli  May 29, 2016 at 7:21 am

Sorry Sami, I don’t know what the hell you’re talking about. Nice try though.

8. Beydety  May 29, 2016 at 12:48 am

Actually the most generous country in the world is Myanmar, where 92% of her population make donations to charity yearly. But yes, USA comes 2nd, followed by New Zealand, Canada and Australia.
    Burundi is ranked bottom of the countries followed by China, Yemen and Lithuania just above them.

9. B. Bradley  May 28, 2016 at 11:51 pm

Thanks Sami.
    Agreed. America is great and Americans too are great but also greatly uninformed and struggling with discernment. Politicians are really just corporate agents and they don’t go rouge unless they grow a conscience or a set of balls. A rarity. They always do as their told by their think tank handler. So blaming a nation of people blaming a spokesperson is exactly what they would like you to be doing. Nothing is accidental. Not Ferguson. Not Caitlin Jenner and this fag happy agenda. And not Trump. Your triggered emotions are very much for sale. So even though your vote in November might not even make it out off the polling house, you are voting every time you change the channel. Every time you purchase a product that has been fairly labeled and is not poisoning your family. Things that are good for you don’t require sneaky legislation, super pacs or spokespeople. Start voting every day!
    Thanks Sami for letting me rant.
    Keep up the great work!

10. ayelyahbenjamin  May 28, 2016 at 10:53 pm

when America breaks free and loses the ties that bind it will be a beautiful sight …the finest removing the foulest, those who have parasited and preyed on the kindness, generousness and good heartedness of the American people…. enforcing media lies and commandeering the nations military to advance the interests of occupiers feigning friends