The Debate – Trump Iran Policy

___________

by Jim W. Dean, VT Editor,   … with Press TV, Tehran

Netanyahu with his American defense minister

[ Editor’s Note: It’s always a pleasure to be on The Debate show with Larry Korb as I don’t have to listen to the silly activists grandstanding comments that they feel elevates their careers. I prefer “the grownups”, even if we disagree on some issues. Larry is also ten years my senior and I hope to be going as strong as he still is at 77.

I had been waiting for Trump to pick his Iran club back up, but must say I was surprised with this “Iran is the biggest exporter of terror” silliness. I cannot believe that he actually got briefed on this really being the case. The Donald was working for Israel on this one, not the American people.

We don’t have a soul among our extensive Intel community contacts that really believe this. They are long used to sham threats like this being trotted out to the public to soften them up for getting their pockets picked for defending America from manufactured threats. Business is booming on that now.

The Iran case is a sad one as what we see missing in the context of the threat discussion is not a single word about how the G5+1 Iran agreement exposed that the claims of Iran’s secret nuclear weapons program had always been a complete hoax. All the Iran haters in Congress who had had top level briefings confirming that claim could have gone public to kill the deal, or leaked it.

Even Israel, who had claimed for over two decades that Iran was a year or two away from “da bomb”, could have killed the deal by putting their confirmed Intel on the table. It did not because it never had any. The world public not only got scammed on this, but there was no real outrage over the long term lie being proven. There was not even a whimper.

Americans got hosed on Iran’s alleged nuclear weapons program

So why should not the liars keep lying, as it appears there is no reputational risk to them whatsoever? And whose fault is that? Not a single institution that I am aware of made a big deal of the hoax being exposed, the problem I suspect was because Israel was involved so it was better to keep quiet.

A people on its knees will never have any security, from either external threats, or the internal ones here at home. When is the last time the FBI broke up an Israeli espionage network here, when we know they are everywhere, in media, academics, the military, and in Congress? Will there ever be one?

As long as we all go along with the elephant in the living room being ignored we will be part of the problem, like a substance abuser that has not been able to kick an addiction, despite the long term damage being done. Both the Alchoholics  and Narcotics Anonymous organizations will tell you that you can’t even begin to help a person who will not admit they have a serious problem.

I wish I knew what the secret solution is to snap people out of their stupor, the organizations I mean. A lot of individual folks “get it”. We have always had them here at VT, and we have plenty among our extended network. But when it comes to institutional America, it is missing in action, and we all suffer that failureJD ]

___________

– First published … February 06, 2017  –

Broadcast date: 2.6.2107

By putting Iran “on notice,” the new U.S. administration is laying the groundwork for a more confrontational approach toward the Islamic Republic. Add to that sanctions, travel ban which includes Iran, and you have a recipe for tensions and friction adding up to confrontation.

Russia and China don’t like it, so much that Russia has announced it will do its best to reduce tensions. In this debate, we’ll discuss why the US is setting up a confrontational approach with Iran.

Guests:
– Managing Editor and Columnist, Veterans Today, Jim W. Dean (ATLANTA)

Dean comes from an old military family going back to the American Revolution, the Confederate side of the Civil War, WWII and Vietnam. He is a long time member of Military Order of World Wars, Association for Intelligence Officers, and has guest lectured at the Army Command and General Staff School at Fort Gordon. He is Senior Vice President, Adamus Defense Group, Switzerland

– U.S. Foreign Policy and National Security Analyst, Lawrence J. Korb (WASHINGTON)

Korb served as adviser to the Reagan–Bush election committee in 1980 and was then appointed Assistant Secretary of Defense (Manpower, Reserve Affairs, Installations and Logistics) from 1981 to 1985. In that position, he administered about 70 percent of the defense budget.

For his service he was awarded the Department of Defense’s medal for Distinguished Public Service. Larry has published 20 books on national security issues.

____________

Posted by on February 7, 2017, With 1396 Reads Filed under WarZone. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.

14 Responses to "The Debate – Trump Iran Policy"

1. JohnZ  February 8, 2017 at 5:38 am

Not one shred of evidence has ever been produced by the zio-cons or their puppets that Iran has nuclear weapons. Yet, the masses of Americans have been convinced Iran is ready to nuke israel. Such are the lies Bibi has been spewing for decades now, even though he has been wrong on every count the American people continue to believe this psychopath. Is it because of some protestant guilt over the holohoax?
    Yet, here we go again; No matter how much technical evidence that proves the war mongers wrong, it is simply ignored. Like Galileo trying to convince the Church of his findings, he was still threatened with death.
    To make matters even worse Drumpf has chose two of the worst for his defense team. Mad Dawg Mattis appears to be a psychopath who take great pleasure in slaughtering innocent people who can’t fight back and bishop Boykin, the religious whack job, right arm of John Hagee and Tim LaHaye. This is the person that scares me. No one is more dangerous to others and himself as well, that someone who claims to be some deity’s right hand. As someone who talks to this deity and claims he gets answers in return, the people of this nation should demand Boykin be removed to an asylum for the mentally ill where he can be given the appropriate treatment: heavy on the meds, straight jacket and possible lobotomy. Boykin should not be allowed to roam free among society much less be in any position of authority regarding the military.
    He is dangerously crazy.

2. Jim W. Dean, Managing Editor  February 7, 2017 at 5:16 pm

Sometimes we get a slugfest and other times they want two people to fill in around what is not being reported in the news. I only figured out this past year that getting old has some benefits, like being put on with Larry who is 77 and written 20 books on national security, as matching one of the activist pretenders would be an embarrassment to everybody their but the activist. I got stuck with one of those once on rolling coverage after an Obama State of the Union speech, an early 30’s fast talking NY City kid that hogged the mic. So I tore into him a bit to try to teach him some manners that you don’t hog the show from the host on a big event. He did not get it. So I ended up giving PressTV a short list at the time of people I never wanted to be on with as I could not use the material for reposting because I would be promoting air heads. They understood. Although Larry is the penultimate Washington insider, I respect him because he has done the work with good intentions, and I might have done just what he has if I had that ability and opportunity. My magic mystery tour has brought me here, something 100% foreseeable ten years ago.

3. ayelyahbenjamin  February 7, 2017 at 4:16 pm

while crawling up the backside they can get this through their thick heads right now…
    Just as Russia, “is “Never going to Compromise on Core Security issues” neither will Lebanon, or be expected to! so they better get used to it…. How effing dare they even infer or refer to Hezbollah in the same breath as terrorists when we have eyes to see all truth unfolding and hearts recognize Hezbollah now on the very front lines with the tip of the spear in fighting the REAL terrorists it is up to us to rip the roots out of the backers and stagers of it …… Hezbollah are legitimate, sons of Lebanon ….those who seeks to rip out the very heart of Lebanon are not
    “Staging” and to falsely accuse, frame and blame is all part of it….Hezbollah not guilty in the Courts that matter
    the 1983 US Barracks 283 dead 1983 US Embassy +60 dead added to the same list as the USS Liberty ….. the real terrorists

• ayelyahbenjamin  February 7, 2017 at 4:23 pm

Iran is guilty only of coming to the aid her brothers and neighbours, her eyes are not set on greed or occupation of others lands

• Jim W. Dean, Managing Editor  February 7, 2017 at 4:59 pm

Edward, Hezbollah, like Iran, but in a different way, are totally on defense. Hezbollah’s missiles are for the next time Israel attacks Lebanon, and under international law they have a right to retaliate, and they will. They and Iran both know that not having a defense and a major retaliation capability reduces you to an elevated West Banker. That is how the West likes to deal with its adversaries, have them defenseless so they are easier for their respective hoodlums to rob. Only the biggies that can run up $20 trillion debts can do offense, and they use “threats” to get the hapless public to fund it. Look at Britain, broke as it is, a broken and badly in need of maintenance military, and it wants to put billions into new nuclear subs. It is beyond stupid for all those everybody but the ones that put the money in their pockets.

• bryguy  February 7, 2017 at 5:56 pm

That’s a good point Jim, also quite logical when one thinks it through in regards to Hezballah’s capabilities. It’s also another strong reason as to why the US, Trump is determined to escalate with Iran, since the Israelis appear quite aware of Hezballah’s defensive capabilities after the 06 failed invasion. Israel knows Iranian weapons are backing Hezballah, through Syria which really does explain everything when one understands Israels expansionist desires. They can’t occupy Lebanon under the current situation. Taking away Hezballah’s defensive capabilities by eliminating it’s major supplier in Iran and it’s transit via the Bekka valley in Syria renders Lebanon defenseless.
      This reason alone, although there are other motivations, seems obvious to me why Trump and the US are escalating with Iran, on behalf of Israel, as per usual

• JohnZ  February 8, 2017 at 5:43 am

Regarding the 1983 bombing of the U.S. Marine barracks, it has been determined a small tactical nuke was used. Not long ago I listened to Mike Harris and Gordon on Mike’s radio program and Mike also had a Russian expert on tracking nukes and how to spot them when they are used which has been dozens of times since WWII.
      The subject of the Marine barracks bombing was brought up and the Russian stated that a small nuke was used.
      So who was that supplied the nuke? You get three guesses and the first two don’t count.

• bryguy  February 8, 2017 at 9:50 am

John, I remember reading about a US officer of some rank during the peace keeping mission the US was providing filing complaints against Israelis for I believe credible threats against their mission. The IDF was openly hostile against the US presence there in Lebanon.
      I also remember Imad Mughniyeh took a lot of the blame for that act…..not sure about any particular details though

4. bryguy  February 7, 2017 at 3:31 pm

Not much of a debate. If Trump continues along a path of war, along with this military advisers, I think he’ll lose a ton of support from his base. They’re sick of perpetual war, regardless if they understand the particulars that the US wages war on behalf of Israel.

• bryguy  February 7, 2017 at 3:35 pm

I real concern is that Trump, as you mentioned, has been using threatening rhetoric since his campaign in regards to Iran and terror. He has said repeatedly he will be tough, that the US has been weak and not respected. He’s boxed himself in with these silly testosterone laden statements to where he pretty much has guaranteed an escalation to war. That is the dangerous part. For all of Obama’s faults, he had the sense to hold that “red line” for example in Syria despite all of the threats and preparations for war when it was obvious Assad was being set up. Trump won’t hold back and that is indeed a dangerous reality

• bryguy  February 7, 2017 at 5:24 pm

Edward, I think a lot of people that are with him on things like immigration would be against him on war with Iran. It’s my opinion and perhaps I’m giving people too much credit for independent thinking, but I suspect people are sick of wars and Iran would be a big one, especially with Russia involved.
      As you said, who knows the future

• bryguy  February 7, 2017 at 9:12 pm

Edward, I agree with you, I think anyone would agree with you that attacking Iran would be a horrible idea. Doing business with Iran would be very profitable, as the Europeans are experiencing. That is logical, sensible but I am doubtful about it being probable.
      I see Israel, having their way with Trump. I wish it wasn’t so but I haven’t seen Trump in any way shape or form push them aside. He was all over Obama for the UN vote, for moving Tel Aviv to Jerusalem, pandering to AIPAC and more. The escalating words and threats with Iran is alarming as with his rhetoric, he is boxing himself into a situation where he forces himself to go through with it. Israel wants rid of Iran, as do the Saudis. We know this. Israel can’t move on Lebanon while Hezballah is there, armed, through Iran therefore Iran must be eliminated as an arms exporter to Hezballah or he route through Syria. It isn’t working so well in Syria at hte moment. Again, just my hypothesis. I just don’t have any faith in Trump being truly independent. He’s certainly a tough one to read as some things he does say I agree with. BTW, it isn’t my administration. I’m north of the US, in the multiculti capital of the world

5. Amelius  February 7, 2017 at 2:49 pm

The show is called “The Debate”, but it’s often more like a civilized discussion between two informed individuals. Personally, I like the show and by stating the facts, Jim often makes it tough for anyone to objectively disagree with him.

6. wjabbe  February 7, 2017 at 10:39 am

Some excellent comments Jim and Mr. Korb also. Adolph Hitler was a master at propaganda. Trump has many similar characteristics. He is a bully, a con artist, a liar. Talk can quickly turn into violence and WWIII. This is the big worry with Trumpy Dumpty. I am not sure he really knows himself where he is going with all this and the possible consequences. Other than the 9/11 false flag, America has been very lucky over the years to have avoided the kind of bombing we have inflicted on so many other countries. If and when the next war begins, this luck will most certainly run out. Look at the sorry “defense” the corrupt four star generals put up on 9/11. They couldn’t even defend their own building. Obviously they stood down or were ordered to do so.
    As you said the other day, we are in deep doo doo. Most Americans are not prepared for a real attack on them like we routinely inflict everywhere else in the world.