Venezuela Defense Chief Calls Trump Intervention Threat Crazy

Venezuela’s President Nicolas Maduro gestures as he speaks during a session of the National Constituent Assembly at Palacio Federal Legislativo in Caracas, Venezuela August 10, 2017.

__________
Jerusalem Post
Venezuela Defence Chief Calls Trump Intervention Threat ‘Crazy’

CARACAS – US President Donald Trump’s threat of military intervention in Venezuela was “an act of craziness,” the South American country’s Defense Minister Vladimir Padrino said on Friday.

Venezuela’s foreign ministry was expected to issue a statement on Saturday responding to Trump’s comment that “a possible military option” was under consideration for the crisis-racked nation.

The country is deep in a recession compounded by shortages of food and medicine, while anti-government protests have killed more than 120 people since April.

Responding to Trump, Padrino told state television, “It is an act of craziness. It is an act of supreme extremism. There is an extremist elite that rules the United States.”

“As a soldier, I stand with the Venezuelan armed forces, and with the people. I am sure that we will all be on the front lines of defending the interests and sovereignty of this beloved Venezuela,” he added.

Communications Minister Ernesto Villegas called Trump’s remark “an unprecedented threat to national sovereignty.”

In a Friday night message on social network Twitter, he said, “The diplomatic corps is summoned to the foreign ministry for tomorrow, when it will release a communiqué addressing the imperial threat to Venezuela.”

Last month’s election of a legislative superbody packed with allies of unpopular socialist President Nicolas Maduro drew international condemnation for usurping the authority of Venezuela’s opposition-controlled congress.

Maduro says the assembly, which has the power to re-write Venezuela’s constitution, is needed to bring peace and prosperity to the oil-rich but economically ailing country. Critics say the assembly casts aside any remaining checks on Maduro’s power.

The opposition boycotted the vote for the assembly, which assured that it would be stacked with Maduro allies.

The White House said Maduro requested a phone call with Trump on Friday, which the administration appeared to spurn, saying in a statement that Trump would gladly speak with the leader of Venezuela once democracy was restored.

Related Posts:



The views expressed herein are the views of the author exclusively and not necessarily the views of VT, VT authors, affiliates, advertisers, sponsors, partners, technicians, or the Veterans Today Network and its assigns. LEGAL NOTICE - COMMENT POLICY

Posted by on August 13, 2017, With 839 Reads Filed under World. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.

FaceBook Comments

2 Responses to "Venezuela Defense Chief Calls Trump Intervention Threat Crazy"

  1. Eduardo  August 13, 2017 at 3:31 pm

    Trump’s world tour of liberating oil reserves is in full swing. The American gringo is well hated by the ordinary Venezuelan. The manipulations, turmoil and death caused by USA and its oily corporations during Chavez’s reign is not forgotten and instead of fighting each other the Venezuelan people will stand together as one if warlord Trump decides on “helping out a neighbour”. Venezuela could and should be a very rich and self-sufficient nation without the American undermining lust for foreign oil.
    Maybe it is time for the whole of South America to come together and built a wall south of USA to keep the lunatics restrained to their own soil and mental asylum.

  2. goodANDevil  August 13, 2017 at 3:02 pm

    once the petrodollar is no longer the world reserve currency, this country will collapse upon its own stupid, evil mediocrity. Venezuela will seem like an oasis of tranquility by comparison.

You must be logged in to post a comment Login


TOP 50 READ ARTICLES THIS MONTH
From Veterans Today Network