With Disability Benefits Questionnaires (DBQs) Veterans now have more control over the disability claims process. Veterans have the option of visiting a private health care provider instead of a VA facility to complete their disability evaluation form.
Veterans can have their providers fill out any of the more than 70 DBQs that are appropriate for their co nditions and submit them to us. It’s that easy!
Where can I see a listing of the Questionnaires?
Visit our pages to see the available forms
or DBQ List by Symptom .
Who fills them out?
Where can I get more information?
DBQs also help support VA’s Fully Developed Claims (FDC) Program. DBQs are valuable for claims processing because they provide medical information that is directly relevant to determining a disability rating. When submitted with afully developed claim, DBQs ensure VA’s rating specialists have precisely the information they need to st art processing the claim.
DBQ Provider Instructions
Your patient is applying to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) for disability benefits. VA will use the information you provide o n this Disability Benefits Questionnaire (DBQ) to process the Veteran’s claim.
Important: VA will not pay or reimburse any expenses or costs incurred in the process of completing and/or submitting a DBQ. VA reserves the right to confirm the authenticity of all DBQs completed by private health care providers. The following steps do not apply to VA compensation and pension examination clinics.
|1||If your patient brings the DBQ, go to step 2.
If your patient requests you download the appropriate DBQ based on his or her claimed disability,
· Select the appropriate DBQ by using the List by DBQ form name or List by Symptoms web pages.
· To complete the DBQ electronically, download it. To complete the DBQ by hand, print it.
|2||Complete the DBQ.
· Follow all instructions carefully.
· Legibility is important! Therefore, VA prefers you complete the DBQ electronically. If you complete a DBQ by hand, VA must be able to read the information.
· You must complete the last section of the DBQ by providing your name, signature, and contact information. VA will only accept a DBQ signed by a licensed healthcare professiona l.
· If you completed an electronic DBQ, you must print it to sign it.
|3||Provide your patient with a copy of the completed DBQ for his or her records.|
|4||If your patient requests, submit the completed DBQ to VA.
· Ask your patient to identify the VA Regional Office (RO) responsible for handling the claim.
Here’s a comprehensive video on DBQ Provider Instructions