[Editor’s note: Trump is utterly incompetent, ludicrously so. After he painted himself as a racist white supremacist in the wake of the Charlottesville fiasco, he really needed to recuperate his image and do something to try to show he isn’t a racist. Instead, he did perhaps the worst thing imaginable and pardoned the most disgusting, racist piece of scum in the entire nation, thus cementing his own image as a racist. Here is a brief rundown of just a few of the truly inhumane and evil activities that have rightly earned Joe Arpaio a richly deserved reputation as a piece of faecal matter in human form. Ian]
10 Disgusting Things Joe Arpaio Did as Sheriff of Maricopa County, Ariz.
Recently, Sheriff Joe Arpaio was crowned some kind of racist folk hero, keeper of the Obama birther theory, and all around example of an abusive cop. So of course, our president thought him a man deserving of a pardon.
Whether you believe Trump pardoned Arpaio because he wanted to divert attention from the umpteenth staff member who was stabbed in the back quit, or if he really believes that Cotton-Eye Joe (my nickname, cuz redneck) speaks to his “base” (base paint is white, right?) Arpaio represents that type of bigot who will not be restrained by decency, humanity or the law.
But the Phoenix New Times has receipts. Lots of them. The alt-weekly has been covering the embattled sheriff for more than 20 years, and laid out a “couple of things you should know about him.” It is even worse than you thought.
1. He ran a jail he described as a “concentration camp.”
2. Prisoners in his jails died often; often without no explanation
3. An inmate who was paraplegic and asked for a catheter almost had his neck broken by one of his jailers
4. He botched hundreds of sex crimes cases of underage girls, oh and … one of his “sheriff’s posse” was indicted for child pornography
5. He marched only Latino prisoners into a segregated area with electric fencing
6. A black woman horrifically lost her baby in his jail
7. A prisoner baked to death in his cell at a temperature of 109 degrees
8. He sent a deputy to Hawaii to “look for Barack Obama’s birth certificate”
9. He was ordered to pay the Phoenix New Times co-founders $3.75 million dollars for false arrests
1o. His people killed a puppy in a botched SWAT raid.
There’s more unfortunately, including investigating the judge who found him in contempt of court, trying to destroy evidence in said investigation and spending millions of tax payer funds to settle lawsuits under his reign.
For this and so much more, Trump deemed this man who for all intents and purposes seems a lot like him (racist, clueless, bad at his job, dangerous) “worthy” of a pardon. I can think of a million other things that he’s worthy of.
Read more at the Phoneix New Times (who should win a prize for staying on top of this maniac’s exploits.)