We encourage you to browse our list so that you can take what you want and keep what you need.
- Unique NC center aims to get veterans back on their feet. Veterans face challenges of homelessness and post-traumatic stress disorder more than ever before, and a first-of-its kind facility in Butner is designed to meet the needs of a new generation of veterans. Officials broke ground Friday on the 100-bed Veterans Life Center in Butner, which will provide transitional housing, medical care and job training to veterans who are having a hard time transitioning back to civilian life when it opens in early 2019.
- Flag-raising ceremony takes place at 1st ever veterans cemetery in OC. The American flag was raised Friday at the future site of the Southern California Veterans Memorial Park, which will be the first veterans cemetery in Orange County. “To the 132,000 veterans who live here right now, we’re going to have a place to rest here with our family, here where we’ve lived, here where we’ve chosen to be,” said Bill Cook, chairman of the OC Veterans Memorial Park Foundation.
- Treatment court gives veterans stability, sobriety and a second chance. David Belcher returned from the Iraq war broken. The platoon sergeant suffered a traumatic brain injury when four guys beat him up with a tire iron and suffered from post-traumatic stress after an officer in his command who was a good friend was killed.
- Military expands online access to exchanges. About 57,000 residents in Shelby County can start receiving at least a 9.25 percent break — and often more — on their retail purchases starting Nov. 11, Veterans Day. That’s when ShopMyExchange.com goes live for the nation’s 18 million honorably discharged veterans, 57,000 of whom live in around Shelby County, according to the Army & Air Force Exchange Service.
- Starcrest Cleaners collecting coats for veterans. Starcrest Cleaners in Champaign is taking in coats, and not just for cleaning. They’re giving them to those in need. Marine Veteran Bryce Good from the Blue Crew Law Enforcement Motorcycle Club is spearheading the donation campaign.