Editor’s note: We have never been closer to WW3 than we are right now as we await Trump’s strike on Syria and the seemingly inevitable Russian and Syrian reaction to it.
Russia is more than capable of sending a US carrier group to the bottom of the Mediterranean and it may just do so if, as seems highly likely, Russian personnel are among the targets of the US strike.
The insanity of the agenda Trump is following lies in the fact that previous incidents have shown that the US military do not hold any clear advantage and may actually be at a disadvantage in technical terms, meaning should the shooting start, a lot of US servicemen are going to become victims of the insanity.
Last year’s cruise missile attack on Syria was an abject failure as the Russian and Syrian defences were able to shoot down or decoy most of the missiles, then there is the fact that the USS Donald Cook, currently loitering off the Syrian coast is the same ship that had to be towed away from the Crimean coast in 2014 after being disabled by Russian warplanes carrying some new electronic weaponry.
So unless the US military has some new trick up it’s sleeve we don’t know about, it seems highly likely that should Trump strike, it will not go too well and that opens up a whole nasty can of worms as are as escalation of the conflict – if your conventional weapons don’t do the job, then the next step might be to try some tactical nukes and the Russians also have lots of those and the aircraft and missiles to deliver them so the US has no advantage in that area either.
Sadly, there is no-one around Trump who might become a voice of reason and restrain the buffoon from doing what he was put in office to do and this is carry out the orders of a bunch of criminal oligarchs hell-bent on the destruction of Putin and Russia…. Ian Greenhalgh
BEIRUT, LEBANON (11:30 A.M.) – The Syrian and Russian air forces have been conducting a large number of flights along the Syrian coast in response to the U.S.’ latest threat of force against the government in Damascus.
According to a military source in the Latakia Governorate, Syrian and Russian jets have been conducting nonstop flights along Syria’s coast since 6:00 A.M. (Damascus Time), with both air forces sharing the Hmaymim Airport in Jableh.
The source added that the Syrian Air Force has moved several jets to the Russian operated Hmaymim Airport in southwest Latakia.
The reason for the Syrian Air Force moving their jets to the Hmaymim Airport is due to the threat posed by the possible U.S. attack on their military installations.
Similar to the precautionary measures they took before the U.S. attack last year, the Syrian Air Force is attempting to protect their air assets by moving them to the Russian base.
First deputy chairman of the Russian upper house’s Defense Committee, Yevgeny Serebrennikov said Wednesday that Russia will respond immediately if its military in Syria gets hit by a possible US airstrike.
Russia’s Hmeymim airbase and Tartus naval base, as well as Russian servicemen deployed in Syria, are under firm protection as the United States is anticipated to carry out airstrikes in Syria in response to an alleged chemical weapon attack in the city of Douma, Serebrennikov, told Sputnik.
“As the Defense Ministry has already pointed out, the Russian military bases in Hmeymim and Tartus are under firm protection. At the same time, we expect that in the event of US strikes, if any, the lives of our servicemen will not be in danger. I think that the United States understands this and will not allow it, because otherwise, Russia’s response will be immediate, as the chief of the Russian General Staff has said,” Serebrennikov said.
Last week, several Syrian opposition online media outlets reported, citing militants that the Syrian Army had used chlorine in the town of Douma and killed up to 70 people.
Following the reports, a number of states, including the US, accused Damascus of staging the attack. Furthermore, the United States said that it was considering all potential options in response to it.
BEIRUT, LEBANON (9:40 A.M.) – The Russian Ambassador to Lebanon Alexander Zaspikin told Al-Manar TV on Tuesday that his country’s forces will respond militarily to any U.S. attack in Syria.
Zaspikin stressed that the Russian forces will confront any US aggression on Syria, by intercepting the missiles and striking their launch pads.
The Russian diplomat added that the U.S. is using these allegations of chemical weapons use to justify their attacks in Syria.
Recently, the Russian military has conducted flights along the Syrian coast, while also jamming U.S. drones flying over the government’s positions.
BEIRUT, LEBANON (7:45 A.M.) – No airplanes are currently flying over Syria after reports from the EASA warned about potential airstrikes over the country.
— Hossein Dalirian (@HosseinDalirian) April 11, 2018
According to the website Flight Aware, two Middle East Airlines (national airline of Lebanon) flights are expected to fly over Syria, despite the warnings form the EASA.
One of the MEA flights is scheduled to fly to the Saudi Arabian city of Madina and another is bound for Dubai; these two airplanes are the only known flights that will be using Syrian airspace in the next few hours.
The Syrian Air Defense is currently on high alert, as they await the U.S.’ decision on whether or not they will attack.