There are more online casinos than physical casinos in this age of the internet. They are a fun source of entertainment that can be accessed from the comfort of your home. But unlike casinos in the real world, they are moderated differently and frankly there are too many casinos for the governing bodies to keep a close watchful eye.
Therefore, it is up to you, the player, to protect yourself from the pitfalls, scams, and trickery of online gambling world. Most online casinos are legit and above board, but like any industry, there are rotten eggs. This article is to inform you how to protect yourselves in the world of online gambling.
Vetting an Online Casino
Look for online casinos that are licensed and regulated.
Seal the Deal
Scroll to the bottom of the page and look for seals of approval from regulating bodies such as the UK Gambling Commission. These seals will give you an indication that the casino in question is working with organisations to ensure that their games are legitimate and offer fair play.
Use Your Search Engine
Chances are that if a casino is involved in foul play, somebody has already been burnt already. Before signing up to a casino, Google the casino’s name along with the word scam. If the results come up shining a negative light on that particular casino- avoid it at all cost.
The online world is all about sharing and online casino players are no different. If players have a bad experience at a casino, it’s more than likely they will voice their opinion online and warn other players about dodgy casino activity.
Use Third Party Casino Guides
There are websites that compile lists of reputable casinos to make your life easier. The third party sites recommend casinos that have been proven legitimate and the lists are occupied by the biggest US brands in the online gambling arena.
Protecting Your Personal Information
If you choose a reputable online casino, your information is relatively safe. That doesn’t mean you shouldn’t take precautions to keep your account safe. The following is a list of safe guards you should adhere to:
- Make a strong password. Use a series of numbers and letters, both lower and uppercase with at least 15 characters.
- Set up login notifications. Every time you log into your account you will receive an email or text notification.
- Set up strong authentication. A strong authentication usually requires a password and additional information. The additional information may require you to answer a question only you would know the answer to or it may also require you to enter a passcode that has been sent to your cell phone when logging in.
If you choose a reputable casino, one of the major brands, and take the above precautions when setting up your account, your information should be safe.
Gambling online can be a fun and thrilling hobby but like everything, excess can have a negative impact on your life. The fact of the matter is, people get hooked and wind up spending all their time and money gambling online. Gambling smart and safe is more rewarding and will not leave you in a state of remorse. Gambling is a leisure activity and should not be considered and not a source of income.
Here are a few tips as advised by the folks at the Responsible Gambling Council.
- Set a time limit on your gambling session.
- Set a money limit.
- Only gamble money you can afford to lose.
- Never chase your losses
- Avoid gambling when you’re depressed or upset.
- Avoid alcohol while gambling.
Winners know when to stop, so should you.
If you follow these tips you will avoid going down the rabbit hole and getting stuck there. It’s easy to get caught up in the fun and excitement when playing online casino games. There are some tell-tale signs that your online gaming is becoming a problem.
- You’re spending more money than you can afford.
- You’re thinking and talking about gambling all the time.
- You have to borrow money to gamble.
- You are gambling to win back losses.
- You are neglecting commitments.
- Hiding your gambling from others.
- Selling your possessions for money to gamble.
- Making larger bets for excitement.
Enjoy your time at the online tables. Avoid the pitfalls and traps of dodgy online casinos by doing your research and safety checks. Go with one of the major players and set up your account using the safety tips in this article.
Online gambling is fun past time. Online slots too! Keep it that way by not letting it have a negative impact on your life. Always gamble responsibly and be aware of how much time and money you are spending. If you gamble safely and within your means you will get more enjoyment out of the games and not wind up broke, singing blues. Be responsible and have fun.