The frequency of car accidents in the United States, both fatal and non-fatal, has increased continuously over the recent years. Unfortunately, even the most cautious of motorists have been involved in many of these accidents. Therefore, it is important for all of us to remain prepared for these unforeseen mishaps.
If you are involved in a car accident, there are two options for you. You can represent yourself or hire an attorney as your legal representative. There are several advantages of hiring a car accident attorney. However, before discussing more about car accident attorneys and their utilities, let us focus on the circumstances when it is advisable to contact a lawyer.
- It is always better to seek legal representation if the accident is not properly described and the fault is not clearly established in the police report.
- If you have sustained injuries because of the accident, hiring a lawyer will definitely enhance your chances of receiving all types of damages you are entitled to.
- If the accident has resulted in significant damage to your vehicle.
- An attorney can ensure maximum recovery of your lost time and money when the insurance company is not too keen to provide compensation.
- Car accident attorneys can also help if the compensation offered by the insurer is too low compared to property damage and injuries.
- Contact a lawyer immediately, if the insurance adjuster is pressurizing you to settle the case.
Mentioned below are the most important benefits of being legally represented by a car accident attorney.
- Communication with Insurer: In case of any personal injury to you, the lawyer will start communication with the other party’s insurance adjuster. Good communication and amicable relationship between the adjuster and the plaintiff’s lawyer is critical to the outcome of the case.
- Evidence of Liability: A good lawyer will obtain all the necessary evidences to prove liability in your automobile accident claim. He or she will probably visit the accident scene, even if you have provided photographs of the same. They will also obtain all accident reports related to the case, and talk to the witnesses and investigating police officers, whenever required.
- Evidence of Damages: This is a critical aspect of any car accident case and this is where an experienced attorney can be of great value to you. This is particularly true if the accident has resulted in significant injuries to you. In these cases, obtaining all injury-related documentation is extremely important. However, at times, you may find it difficult to get your hands on these essential documents. Also, oftentimes, the doctors do not mention the extent and causation of the disability or injury in the medical records. If that happens in your case, the attorney will contact the doctor with a request to provide a special letter mentioning that the injury was caused by the accident and you will be temporarily hindered because of the injury.
- Negotiating With Lien Holders: Whenever you receive benefits from a workers’ compensation, disability, or health insurer, the insurer has a lien on the claim. This means that whenever you receive a judgment or settlement, before you, the lien holder will get paid. A good lawyer will be able to negotiate with the lien holder and make sure that the lien is reduced.
- Settlement Negotiation: Negotiation of the settlement is the final, and probably the most difficult stage of the case. An experienced car accident attorney understands how much a particular case is worth and has the expertise to conduct the negotiations so that their clients receive maximum compensation from the insurer.
- Peace of Mind: Going through the legal procedures in the aftermath of an accident can often be an overwhelming experience. The support from an experienced attorney will undoubtedly make things much easier for you.