Daily Beast: Calls to New York City’s Poison Control Center rose steeply after President Trump said doctors might be able to inject COVID-19 patients with disinfectants to cure them of the coronavirus, the New York Daily News reports. Between Trump’s Thursday press conference and Friday afternoon, the center responded to 30 cases of residents exposed to bleach or other household disinfectants.
More cleanup pic.twitter.com/sipwTjgl3i
— Jim Acosta (@Acosta) April 25, 2020
None of the cases were fatal. During the same time period in 2019, the Center reportedly fielded 13 calls. Nine of this week’s cases reportedly involved Lysol, even though the manufacturer specifically advised against ingesting disinfectant in response to the president. Calls to Poison Control have spiked across the country as the majority of the population shelters at home.
Guardian: Donald Trump retweeted this morning an advisory from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) from yesterday that says household cleaners “can cause problems when not used properly”.
It hasn’t even been 48 hours since Trump said during a press briefing that researchers should look into injecting disinfectant into the bodies of infected Covid-19 patients.
“I see the disinfectant where it knocks it out in a minute… Is there a way we can do something, by an injection inside or almost a cleaning? … So, that you’re going to have to use medical doctors with, but it sounds interesting to me.”
Of course medical experts and even the manufacturers of disinfectants said in no circumstances should they consume or inject disinfectant into a human body.
Trump later backtracked on the comments, blaming the media for not seeing that he was being sarcastic.
“I was asking a question sarcastically to reporters like you just to see what would happen,” Trump told reporters at his press briefing yesterday.
It’s not entirely clear whether viewers of the press briefings took Trump’s comments as sarcasm. New York City’s Poison Control Center reported a doubling of calls regarding possible exposure to disinfectants Thursday night to Friday afternoon.