… from Press TV, Tehran
[ Editor’s Note: Crown Prince Salman continues his rogue prince routine, through his rule of fear and terror on his own people. It is no surprise that Trump loves him so much, obviously envious of what Salman can do that Trump can’t.
We may be in the final countdown days of Mr. Trump if the Israelis cannot steal the election for him, and if they are, he continues to work against their efforts by digging new holes for himself.
Most recently, we had his admission that he would withhold election security funding to disrupt the mail in voting, which he might find to have been a criminal act when he is no longer in office.
His list of charges is growing to the point I would not be surprised to see him hightailing it to Israel if he loses.
There are early signs in the Republican Congress that they are trying to survive and not go down on the ship with him. Voters realize that a Republican controlled Senate will be a block to the deep cleaning that is needed for the American political system with more than a few criminal prosecutions.
I see a list of RICO statute charges galore, something you don’t hear anything about any more, being brought against the hopefully soon to be unemployed Trump soldiers.
If Trump sees that he will lose everything, with even Michael Cohen getting some licks in via his new book, he will have nothing to lose by using all of his power to thwart an election defeat by any means necessary…Jim W. Dean ]
– First published … August 14, 2020 –
A former Saudi intelligence czar’s lawsuit in the US courts makes a host of incendiary claims, including that the powerful crown prince tried to have him killed, and threatens to spill more royal secrets.
A source close to the Saudi royal court has shrugged off Saad Aljabri’s 107-page lawsuit filed last week, insisting that the former spy chief himself faced serious allegations of corruption.
But the case, lodged after Riyadh detained two of Aljabri’s adult children without charge, threatens to become a public slanging match that could pull aside the curtain on the kingdom’s Shakespearean power plays.
The lawsuit marks the first time a former top official has legally challenged Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman and, if true, exposes what observers call a violent government campaign to snare overseas rivals and critics.
“There is virtually no one (Prince Mohammed) wants dead more than Dr. Saad,” the suit said, claiming a hit team was sent after him just two weeks after members of the same squad murdered journalist Jamal Khashoggi.
Aljabri, exiled in Canada, is a former intelligence chief and top aide to Prince Mohammed bin Nayef, who was deposed as heir to the throne by Prince Mohammed in a 2017 palace coup.
Releasing what it says are WhatsApp exchanges with Prince Mohammed, the suit accuses him of strong arm tactics to induce Aljabri to return to the kingdom after Nayef’s downfall prompted him to flee.
They range from trying to entice Aljabri with a job offer to an unsuccessful attempt to have him extradited through Interpol, and the detention in March of his two children as a bargaining chip.
Then in October 2018, the suit alleges, the prince sent “Tiger Squad” assassins armed with forensic tools to kill him in Canada — chillingly similar to the way Khashoggi was targeted in Istanbul.
A senior Saudi official told AFP the government was preparing its response to the lawsuit, while Canada has not denied the claim that it intercepted a Saudi hit squad. It is unclear how the lawsuit will play out in the United States, where neither Aljabri nor the crown prince is based.
But it could still worry Riyadh as it emphasizes Aljabri possesses “sensitive, humiliating and damning information” on the crown prince, including recordings that will be made public if he is killed. A Saudi royal court source has dismissed the lawsuit as a “PR step”, calling it a “flimsy case” that offered “zero evidence.”
“Any sensitive state secrets Aljabri has he would have been involved in and would not want to admit to… It will dig up things that (human rights groups) will hardly approve of,” the source told AFP.
The source accused Aljabri of corruption involving billions of dollars during his time at the interior ministry and said he could be “poisoning the Saudi-US relationship given his contacts.”
The dispatching of a kill squad to Canada at the height of the global outrage over Khashoggi’s murder, if confirmed, shows Aljabri is seen by Riyadh as “politically risky,” Middle East expert Bessma Momani said.
“To go after rivals in this fashion also shows MBS feels he is untouchable,” Momani, a professor at Canada’s University of Waterloo, added.
Graft allegations against Aljabri have met with skepticism in the American intelligence community, with one former CIA official telling AFP, “Everyone in the US who knows Dr. Saad and Saudi Arabia and knows what MBS is capable of, would not believe that.”
President Donald Trump, a key Saudi ally, backed Prince Mohammed through the Khashoggi scandal.
But the US State Department last week issued a rare rebuke over the detention of Aljabri’s children — Sarah and Omar, both in their 20s — calling it “unacceptable” and demanding their “immediate release.”
“In my years at the CIA, I have never known a foreign official who is a better subject matter expert on counterterrorism than Dr. Saad,” Daniel Hoffman, a former director of the CIA’s Middle East division, told AFP.
“This looks like a dispute between Dr. Saad and the Saudi government. The children should be allowed to leave the kingdom if they wish.”
Jim W. Dean Archives 2009-2014