A New Zealand court has sentenced mass shooter Brenton Tarrant, who killed 51 Muslim worshipers at a mosque last year, to life in prison without the possibility of parole, the first such ruling ever handed down in the country.

The 29-year-old Australian previously admitted to some 92 charges – 51 for murder, 40 for attempted murder and one linked to terrorism – following the 2019 shooting rampage at two mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand. At Tarrant’s sentencing on Thursday, High Court Judge Cameron Mander said the severity of his crimes justified the harsh penalty.

“Your crimes… are so wicked that even if you are detained until you die it will not exhaust the requirements of punishment and denunciation,” the judge said while handing down the sentence.

“As far as I can discern, you are empty of any empathy for your victims”.

The shooter – who livestreamed the act on Facebook and has been widely described as a ‘white supremacist’ in media reports due to an online manifesto penned before the attack – showed little emotion during the ruling, according to DW. He had fired his legal team last month, opting to represent himself, but also waived his right to speak during his sentencing.

Christchurch Mosques’ Killer planned Massacre since 2 years with Drones too. As a Mossad Military Mission

 

Though New Zealand no longer has a death penalty, and until Tarrant’s case no judge had ever sentenced a criminal to life behind bars with no chance for parole, victims’ families urged the judge to issue the harshest punishment possible.

“He deserves not a life imprisonment term of 17, 25 or 30 years, but life imprisonment until his last gasp, his last breath,” Hamimah Tuyan, whose husband Zekeriya succumbed to injuries nearly two months after the shooting, told the court on Wednesday.

ALSO ON RT.COM ‘His aim was to kill Muslims’: German law enforcers say they’ve prevented a Christchurch-style attack at homeNew Zealand abolished capital punishment for all crimes, including treason, in 1989, decades after eliminating the death penalty for murder. Some 85 people were executed under the country’s legal system until that point.

CHRISTCHURCH, L’EX MINISTRO ISLAMICO: «MOSSAD DIETRO LE STRAGI»

Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern issued a statement following the ruling, saying Tarrant’s life sentence “gave me relief, to know that person will never see the light of day.”

“The trauma of March 15 is not easily healed, but today I hope is the last where we have any cause to hear or utter the name of the terrorist behind it,” the PM went on.

His deserves to be a lifetime of complete and utter silence.

Author Details
Director , Gospa News
Fabio is Director and Editor of Gospa News; a Christian Information Journal. Fabio Giuseppe Carlo Carisio, born on 24/2/1967 in Borgosesia, started working as a reporter since he was only 19 years old in the alpine area of Valsesia, Piedmont, his birth region in Italy. After studying literature and history at the Catholic University of the Sacred Heart in Milan, he became deputy director of a local newspaper and specialized in judicial reporting. For about 15 years he is a correspondent from Northern Italy for the Italian newspapers Libero and Il Giornale, also writing important revelations on the Ustica massacre, a report on Freemasonry and organized crime. With independent investigations he collaborates with Carabinieri and Guardia di Finanza in important investigations that conclude with the arrest of Camorra entrepreneurs or corrupt politicians. In July 2018 he found the counter-information webmedia Gospa News focused on geopolitics, terrorism, Middle East and military intelligence. He is a correspondent from Italy for the French news site Reseau International. He worked since many years for the magazine Art & Wine as art critic and curator http://www.art-wine.eu/
ATTENTION READERS
Due to the nature of independent content, VT cannot guarantee content validity.
We ask you to Read Our Content Policy so a clear comprehension of VT's independent non-censored media is understood and given its proper place in the world of news, opinion and media.

All content is owned by author exclusively. Expressed opinions are NOT necessarily the views of VT, other authors, affiliates, advertisers, sponsors, partners or technicians. Some content may be satirical in nature. All images within are full responsibility of author and NOT VT.

About VT - Read Full Policy Notice - Comment Policy

3 COMMENTS

  1. Sacked his legal representatives and opted to remain silent for the last part of his trial. Sounds like he was instructed to keep quiet. Which makes the case of that it was a staged and controlled operation even more likely. If it were indeed a lone gunman attack surely it would have been driven by a passionate hatred of the people he targetted and a desire to keep on letting people know this. But he went quiet and has been since his capture and during his trial. No passionate outbursts from him during the court case no statements of his beliefs throughout. His whole demeanour is very suspicious and I question the lone gunman scenario. I think he had controllers.

  2. Surely it would be better if he spoke and told The Truth. Lone White Nutter – where have I heard that before?

Comments are closed.