Health Editor’s Note: The title is harsher than I usually use but presently America is in very dire straits as the COVID-19 pandemic marches on and some Americans still are not taking COVID-19 seriously. We are up to almost 2,000 deaths per day…New Zealand has a total of 25 deaths….not per day, but during the entire pandemic period. Think about the vast difference between these death numbers. New Zealand locked down at the beginning of the pandemic and continues to remain very vigilant and willing to lockdown, quarantine, do whatever it takes to stop any spread of coronavirus. Other countries have also locked down and have seen far, far fewer deaths than we have experienced in the U.S.
Australia, New Zealand, and other countries did not allow politics to affect any of the anti-COVID-19 measures. No political party was allowed to blame another political faction of causing or making COVID-19 worse. All regions, territories were on the same page and all followed sound medical and scientific protocols designed to stop the spread of this virus.
If you think that almost 2,000 deaths of Americans per day is wrong and needs to STOP:
- Wear a mask (over both nose and mouth) when entering any building where other people are present!
- Stay physically distanced, 6 or more feet, from anyone you do not live with.
- Wash your hands all the time.
- Never touch your face, nose, mouth, eyes without first thoroughly washing your hands.
- Do not be around anyone who is ill.
- Do not leave your home if you are ill.
- Stay away from groups of any size.
- Do not gather family members who do not live in your house together for any reason and help to save their lives. Giving up the family Thanksgiving meal this year, will help to insure that you will be able to be with these people in years to come. Christmas celebrations may also have to be shelved for 2020.
- Stop complaining that your ‘civil rights’ are being attacked because it is not your civil right to give COVID-19 to others. Stop the protests because these group gatherings, where people will be yelling, not physically distanced, spewing aerosolized coronavirus into the air, only give COVID-19 easier chances to claim humans. ‘Peaceful’ protests also bring people together and increase the spread of the virus.
- Do go outside and walk, walk the dog or dogs, run, jog, bike, swim and recharge while staying physically distanced from others.
- Do stay in touch with others by phone, text, computer, Zoom, Facetime, etc.
- Do always remember that coronavirus is real, very capable of spreading from human to human, and can be beat if we just do not give it humans to use to make more of itself.
- Starve the novel coronavirus, COVID-19 by staying away from any situation where you could encounter it.
The life you save may be your own, your child’s, your parent’s, your friends’, or your grandma’s. That is worth any effort….right???
by Lambeth Hochwald, CNN
(CNN)If you think quarantine needs a better publicist in the United States, you might be right.
New Zealanders went into a strict lockdown and so did Italians. So did the residents of China, Spain, Bolivia, Morocco and South Korea.
The idea of isolating for a stretch of two weeks either because you’ve been exposed to Covid-19 or are traveling from a Covid-19 hotspot, however, can feel like a punishment to Americans, not a long-standing infectious disease prevention policy.
It might feel the same way to thousands of Germans: Demonstrators gathered near Berlin’s Brandenburg Gate Wednesday to protest an ongoing nationwide lockdown, Berlin police spokesman Stefan Petersen earlier told CNN. When the crowds didn’t disperse, police used water cannons to move protestors away from the area, Berlin police said.
Whether or not the US ever imposes a nationwide lockdown, the fact is that with over 100,000 US cases confirmed daily, we’re going to have to get used to the idea of quarantining. As that number inches up to 200,000 daily cases, the reality is that we’re about to experience an even more difficult time with this virus if behaviors don’t change.