UK Daily Mail: A Texas prosecutor is opening a criminal investigation into whether any person or entity should face criminal charges for last week’s deadly power outages.
José Garza, the District Attorney for Travis County – which includes Austin, told KVUE that the investigation will be handled by his office’s public integrity unit.
‘Lives were lost, homes were lost, and it will take weeks, months and – in some cases – years for some people to be made whole again,’ Garza told KVUE.
We will not forget the horror our community experienced.’
Garza did not indicate if the Electric Reliability Council of Texas, which manages the state’s power grid, would be targeted by the investigation.
County District Attorney Jose Garza is launching a criminal investigation into the power outages in Texas
After a snowstorm hits the state of Texas, millions were left without power after ERCOT chose to use rolling blackout to save energy in the state
‘We will do everything we can to hold powerful actors accountable whose actions or inactions may have led to the suffering,’ he said.
He added: ‘The events of last week were horrifying, and in the midst of that horror the spirit of our community was evident to EMS workers, hospitals works, firefighters, law enforcement and everyone who worked hard to make sure our neighbors were safe – you made us proud and thank you.’
Top ERCOT board leaders said on Tuesday they will resign after more than 4 million customers lost electricity during the winter storm last week – marking one of the worst power outages in United States history.
All of the four board directors who are stepping down, including Chairwoman Sally Talberg, live outside of Texas, which only intensified criticism of the Electric Reliability Council of Texas.