Proving Fault In Slip & Fall Injury If You Are a Veteran


Veterans who have been injured are treated a little bit differently from civilians who have had a slip and fall injury. If you are a veteran who has been injured and the reason was not connected to your service to the country, then you will be provided care by the VA’s Federal Medical Care Recovery Program. However, the VA will recover the money for the medical care by performing an investigation. For the rest of your non-medical damages, you can gather evidence for a settlement claim and work with an injury attorney to prove who’s at fault.

How Veterans Prove a Slip and Fall Injury

The owner of the premises must be negligent in some way that directly caused your accident. According to Balkin & Mausner, the VA’s Office of General Counsel’s Revenue Law Group handles the charges for your medical bills. However, you can speak with an injury attorney for additional compensation for your damages for other expenses.

Prove Duty

When you visit any business, or public location, the owner of the premises owes you a duty to keep you safe while you are there. For example, if you are shopping at a grocery store, the owners have to provide a hygienic, safe, and secure environment. The premise’s owner owes you a duty when managing a property that you are shopping, visiting, doing activities, or performing services at.

Prove Breach of Duty

If the area has a hazard, such as a ripped carpet, a broken stairwell, exposed wires, an uneven surface, or potholes, this is a breach of duty. Any kind of obstacle or physical danger to you is a breach of duty because the owner of the premises must manage their property and maintain it.

Reveal Injuries

If you were injured because of a hazard on someone else’s property, you must begin collecting evidence. Take pictures of your injuries, the area it happened, and also the hazard you encountered. This will help others understand how you were harmed, directly connected to the breach of duty.

Show Damages

Seek medical care to learn about what injuries you have. If you believe that the injuries will cause wage loss, you can ask your doctor to write a letter stating how your wounds will prevent you from full-time work. You can also document long-term income loss and include that in your settlement claim to help your case. Your pain and suffering should also be included in your damages, as well as other expenses you encountered.

Speak With an Attorney

When you work with an injury attorney, they can help you recover all of your losses by proving your case. Based on what happened to you, they will confirm the duty, breach of duty, injuries, and damages. They will contact the other parties involved on your behalf and also negotiate a settlement with them. If the other parties refuse to settle, your personal injury attorney will instead represent you in court. Your evidence will be displayed before the jury, who will then come up with a decision for the amount you’ll be compensated with.

Getting Additional Help Proving Fault

If you need more guidance, you can work with a knowledgeable injury attorney. They will guide you on the next steps.

Due to the nature of independent content, VT cannot guarantee content validity.
We ask you to Read Our Content Policy so a clear comprehension of VT's independent non-censored media is understood and given its proper place in the world of news, opinion and media.

All content is owned by author exclusively. Expressed opinions are NOT necessarily the views of VT, other authors, affiliates, advertisers, sponsors, partners or technicians. Some content may be satirical in nature. All images within are full responsibility of author and NOT VT.

About VT - Read Full Policy Notice - Comment Policy