VT is a special place for intelligent discourse by educated readers.
We invite and welcome proper discourse, opinion, and civil disagreement on the fact-based issues of the day.
VT is an all-volunteer project with a loose decentralized organization of strong independent writers from around the world who care. So while we invite comments on VT, we just don’t have time to referee slugfests between users or to deal with trolls whose only aim is to disrupt. And we definitely do NOT have time for Paid Spammers/Fake Readers. Those types just have no place in VT.
However, “disrupt” is NOT the same as “disagree”. In fact, VT has many esteemed long-time commenters with ‘standing,’ who often disagree with the VT mainstream. To those commenters, we say absolutely YES! So glad to have you onboard making the discourse vibrant and challenging for everyone! Respect!
So if you are a new commenter, get into VT. Earn your VT stripes and make our world a better place! Let’s Go Go Go!
Now, below we just have some simple rules to follow. So check them out!
SIMPLE COMMON SENSE RULES
- Harass, stalk, bully, or otherwise abuse any user on our site. Personal Insult and rude mean-spirited profanity are not acceptable. While we welcome healthy debate, there is a clear line between enthusiastic discussion and “flaming”. When in doubt, take a step back and see if your actions might be construed as an attack on someone as opposed to a healthy disagreement. Just be civil and respectful. Remember, if someone harasses you, don’t harass them back. Instead, contact our Comment Moderator
- Post any content which could be construed as hate speech – this includes racism, sexism, homophobia, Nazism, KKK, and other such content that may advocate bigotry.
- Go off-topic. Keep posts on-topic. The discussion should remain centered around the topic of the page in question. While discussions can evolve over time, please try to keep your comments related to the original topic.
- Vandalize the site. This can include uploading objectionable content to your profile.
- Spam the site. Repeatedly posting identical comments (“flooding”), posting commercial messages, or the like are not conducive to the site’s purpose and we will respond accordingly.
- Post any content which is invasive of another person’s privacy. This includes posting an individual’s non-public email address, telephone number, address, or other personal details. For instance, posting a Senator’s public office telephone number is acceptable; posting their home telephone number is not.
Failure to abide by these rules may result in a warning by site moderators or in some instances (for particularly grievous offenses or after repeated warnings), suspension, or termination of your commenting privileges, your account, or access to our site itself.
REPORT BAD BEHAVIOR
If you feel that a comment presented on our site violates policy, please contact our Comment Moderator.
Please be specific in your report and include the URL address, title of the article and comment, and any other information that you would think helpful for a review. We will review and take action as needed and respond back to you.